Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

72 super beetle died while driving

kasparov747
12-13-2003, 01:22 PM
while I was driving home my 72 super beetle just died. the radio and turn signals all still work. the car tries to turn over but it wont start. the cable for the accelerator is fine but I dont know what to check. any help would be appreciated.

mechy1barry
12-14-2003, 01:56 PM
has the battery run low because of faulty charging.?the engine will be slow to turn over and won,t start,although lights will work.

sfguyer
01-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Same thing happened to my 71. All I needed to do was replace the ignition coil and it started right up.

edd_o_brain
01-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Here is a list of checks:

- Is there fuel in the gas tank? (The guage might me lieing!). If you loosen the fuel hose off where it goes into the carb and turn the engine over, does fuel pump out the end? Only turn the engine over for a second. If fuel comes through, wait for it to dry before contining onto the next steps. If it doesn't, you have no juice in ur tank, or a blocked line/fuel filter.

- If you have access to a volt meter, check the voltage accross the battery. MAke sure it is over 12 volts (or 6 volts on a 6 volt model). See how much the voltage drops when you try and start the car. Shouldn't drop to less than 9 volts. If it does, try re-charging the battery using a battery charger, over night preferably.

- To check the coil, unplug the central lead from the distributor cap and hold it (using a pair of insulated pliers) away from the carb/fuel pump/fuel line etc (I can't remember whether u need to hold it against an earth part of the engine). Ideally you should get a blue or a white spark. If it is orange or brown your coil is on the way out. Yellow is border line okay.

- If the coil checks out, next try your plug leads. Remove one of them from the spark plug, hold it agaisnt something that is earthed (but not the carb/fuel pump) with insulated pliers. Turn the engine over. Do you get a spark? If not, then the fault lies with either your distributor, points, condenser, leads etc. If there is a spark, check the other three leads.

- If there is a spark, you need to check your points gap and timing.

Let me know if you get this far and you are still stuck. dj_cadden@hotmail.com.

Also, read 'How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive' by John Muir.

Ciao

Add your comment to this topic!