Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help a new modeler

Mauro
12-13-2003, 04:38 AM
I am a brazilian modeler, or at least try to be one because here we do not have model kits or sci fi books and magazines.
I will make my first attempt to build the futura-batmobile convertion and I would like to know how can I make the red pin striping?
I read once in the internet that people have used a 3M scothical tape. Do you know it? Do you know where can I buy it in the internet?
Thank s a lot

Mauro

pettercardoso
12-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Ola Mauro! Primeiro que tudo, benvindo ao AF. Eu sou Portugues e podes tratar-me por Pedro :D
Em relacao a tua pergunta, eu nao consigo perceber qual a tua duvida. Se mostrasses uma imagem do que queres talvez fosse mais facil..mas eh so uma sugestao. :)
Ah, e tenta ler a seccao FAQ. La vais encontrar muitas respostas para (quase) todas as duvidas.

Um abraco

David_
12-13-2003, 07:19 AM
right.. i didn't understand that,but red pin striping, what is that? (and if its the actual striping) i say gundam it away

ZoomZoomMX-5
12-13-2003, 07:46 AM
First of all, most people are trained to look at photographs and see red pinstriping. Guess what? It's orange. Almost flourescent.

Second, most people tend to want to paint the stripes over black, or use decals. There are no good decals, and most people have such a difficult time masking the stripes that they end up too large.

I was told of a better solution. If you have some very thin masking tape, or can cut very thin pieces of Bare Metal Foil to use as masks, then you should first paint the entire body orange. Then apply the thin masks to the areas where the stripes are. Make sure they are sealed, and spray a bit of clear over the masking...if any paint seeps through, it's clear and won't be visible. Then paint the black portions of the body. Before it's completely dry, begin carefully removing the masks. For a perfect look, you'll want to clearcoat over the entire body, and then carefully polish out the paint, especially in the areas of the stripes, to knock down the edges. For even better appearance, reapply clear after this step. The final results should be spectacular. :)

Add your comment to this topic!