screwed up power windows

J30Bankin
12-10-2003, 11:48 PM
My driver side window rolled down tonight then wouldnt go back up. Other windows worked ok. I took the front driver side door panel off and got the window back up. Front driver side window will only go down not up. Motor still works but wont bring it back up. Once i put the panel back on, rear windows won't work from the front. No problem when controlling them from the back, but when I use the master switch I get a single "click" coming from the rear door somewhere. Cant figure it out but its buggin me in a huge way. Any ideas? -Ben '93 J30t 216k

felixxilef
12-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Sounds like you're more of a mechanic than I am but the whole problem must be in or near the bank of switches on the driver door, don't you think?

I smoke with the window cracked open and when it rains the rain pours onto those switches. I've sometimes wondered if that might be the source of weird electrical problems in the car.

J30Bankin
12-11-2003, 05:18 PM
So now its the next day. Got in car this morning and the rear windows worked fine but front one still seems to be off track of something. The motor will run and run once I try to roll it down, but now my HICAS light is on until I warm the car up in the morning. It turns off after about 5 minutes but it goes back on anytime I take a turn over 25. When its not one thing its another...

blackj30t
12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
its probably the regulator that needs replaced....i had the same thing happen to me last week and i just bought a regulator off ebay and will let you know if it fixes it. instructions on how to fix it http://www.fuzzycats.com/docs/power_window.pdf

Luther_b
04-15-2005, 03:46 PM
It is the regulator- you can have a shop re-condition the bushings which become 'bound up' or better yet go to autoparts.com and buy a used reg for $75..I've replaced 3 of them now...a common problem.

QUOTE=J30Bankin]My driver side window rolled down tonight then wouldnt go back up. Other windows worked ok. I took the front driver side door panel off and got the window back up. Front driver side window will only go down not up. Motor still works but wont bring it back up. Once i put the panel back on, rear windows won't work from the front. No problem when controlling them from the back, but when I use the master switch I get a single "click" coming from the rear door somewhere. Cant figure it out but its buggin me in a huge way. Any ideas? -Ben '93 J30t 216k[/QUOTE]

Nahkapohjola
04-19-2005, 12:01 PM
My driver side window rolled down tonight then wouldnt go back up. Other windows worked ok. I took the front driver side door panel off and got the window back up. Front driver side window will only go down not up. Motor still works but wont bring it back up. Once i put the panel back on, rear windows won't work from the front. No problem when controlling them from the back, but when I use the master switch I get a single "click" coming from the rear door somewhere. Cant figure it out but its buggin me in a huge way. Any ideas? -Ben '93 J30t 216k

Possible reason:
Moisture in your system half shorting the logic signal; longer wiring with more resistance keeps tha logic ON -signal so weak in the rear, that the actuator will not come on.

Note:
The win ctrl system is NOT old style hard wired, but each door is controlled via driver door logic signals. You could call this a computer controlled system...

The power supply to doors (except drivers) +12V is ON only when driver door sw logic signal activates the ctrl box. Or when any door sw is pressed, causing system logic signal high to the ctrl box...

See my web page for some more info... And seek also the FSM for the ctrl signals.

How to repair?
Make sure moisture will not get in, everything is dry. Open connectors, clean, add contact grease on every pin. Check out wirings for compressed points or bad dents.

Add your comment to this topic!