Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no fan blower

Cadman
12-10-2003, 08:11 PM
In my Buick 92 Lesabre with Auto Climate Control I have no fan coming on for the air cond or heat. I have checked the fuses and replaced the motor and even the ECC control. What should be the next thing I should do?
Thanks

RABarrett
12-11-2003, 08:12 AM
I would suggest obtaining a manual for the vehicle. Thgough they make their share of errors, it would be the place to start for troubleshooting. I notice that you started by replacing parts. Is there voltage and ground to the motor? If one of these is missing, it would be the place to start.

Cadman
12-11-2003, 07:51 PM
I would suggest obtaining a manual for the vehicle. Thgough they make their share of errors, it would be the place to start for troubleshooting. I notice that you started by replacing parts. Is there voltage and ground to the motor? If one of these is missing, it would be the place to start.

It does have power but it is like the whole system is bad because the vent don't open or close either.

jmarhal
12-11-2003, 08:08 PM
It's most likely the electronic control panel on the dash. You may want to try and find a used one. A new one from GM is about $400 bucks.

Cadman
12-12-2003, 08:08 PM
It's most likely the electronic control panel on the dash. You may want to try and find a used one. A new one from GM is about $400 bucks.

I got a used one at the junk yard and pluged it in and the same thing. So I do'nt think that is the problem. What else would you check?

jmarhal
12-13-2003, 09:01 AM
That could be why they junked the car?

1989Buickguy
12-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Did you ever find out what was causing your problem? I am having the same problem with my 89 LeSabre.

jmarhal
12-19-2003, 07:36 PM
The dealer told me it's most likely the electronic control head, located on the dash. They said the part would cost about $400. For that, I'll put up with the surging. Let me know if you find out something different. It is still driving me nuts!

Cadman
12-19-2003, 08:44 PM
The dealer told me it's most likely the electronic control head, located on the dash. They said the part would cost about $400. For that, I'll put up with the surging. Let me know if you find out something different. It is still driving me nuts!

No I have not figured out why it is not working. I plan on tearing into it after Christmas. Does yours work at all? Mine nothing the vents or the fan.

jmarhal
12-20-2003, 09:27 AM
O' yes. The fan works and just surges on low and medium speeds. It's fine on high. It's about 15 degrees here now. The old Buick does get warm inside. When the fan starts surging, I simply turn up the radio.

1989Buickguy
12-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Where is the blower motor relay located?

1989Buickguy
12-20-2003, 02:45 PM
Well, it's gotta be in the control unit or connection somewhere, if I give the dash a good whack it kicks on.

Think I gotta do the T-stat though, it doesn't get that hot. That looks like fun too.

jmarhal
12-20-2003, 03:19 PM
I think the relay is located behind the glove compartment. You can open the glove compartment all the way, you'll see some rubber tabs on top that act as a stop. Move those tabs and the door will swing all the way down. You should be able to see the relays.

Good luck!

1989Buickguy
12-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info. After going shopping today, I have noticed that the low setting doesn't work at all. Maybe it is the relay, I'll look into it.

Gotta have heat Consistently.

yakman
01-09-2004, 07:39 AM
Well, it's gotta be in the control unit or connection somewhere, if I give the dash a good whack it kicks on.

Think I gotta do the T-stat though, it doesn't get that hot. That looks like fun too.

My 89 Lesabre with manual HVAC blows little heat. I have installed a new T-stat and anti-freeze is 50/50 mixture. There is lots of heat at radiator. But lines going from water pump to heater core feel only luke warm. Can hear the vacuum working while moving the dash selector. Any suggestions ?

1989Buickguy
01-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Does that heater line have a in-line valve somewhere? If not, maybe the core is a little plugged or in the line somewhere there's a blockage.

jmarhal
01-10-2004, 09:02 AM
My 89 Lesabre with manual HVAC blows little heat. I have installed a new T-stat and anti-freeze is 50/50 mixture. There is lots of heat at radiator. But lines going from water pump to heater core feel only luke warm. Can hear the vacuum working while moving the dash selector. Any suggestions ?

You should have two hoses coming out of the firewall to the heater core. One is the inlet and the other is the outlet. If one is hot and the other is luke warm, then you could have a plugged heater core. Wait till June. Your heater problems will be gone. :)

1989Buickguy
01-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Why is there a delay in this thing when it's turned on? Mine comes on whenever it wants to after I turn the selector on. This is the electronic CC. Sometimes the blower won't come on for 15 minutes or so, sometimes it comes on right away. I don't understand this. Before I thught that when I whacked the dash it worked, but that doesn't have any effect on it anymore.

jmarhal
01-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Why is there a delay in this thing when it's turned on? Mine comes on whenever it wants to after I turn the selector on. This is the electronic CC. Sometimes the blower won't come on for 15 minutes or so, sometimes it comes on right away. I don't understand this. Before I thught that when I whacked the dash it worked, but that doesn't have any effect on it anymore.

Please understand that I am not an expert on these things, however, I have played with cars all of my life.

If you have the electronic heater control panel, the delay is caused by the computer. The system is waiting for the proper engine operating temperature so that when you turn the heater on you don't get blased with cold air. The lenght of time may vary depending on the outside temp. If you turn it to defrost, it should come on immediately.

1989Buickguy
01-13-2004, 07:14 PM
OK, changed the t-stat. Took it for a ride, blower kicked on in about 5 mins. Got great heat now! Good thing, arctic blast coming thru tonight. Will be watching the blower motor now that it's hot.

jmarhal
01-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Cool!?!

1989Buickguy
01-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Well, so much for that good feeling. 13 Degrees out this AM, fired up the Buick, blower motor didn't kick on until about 30 miles on the way to work. Nice heat from under dash, just no blower! Then, suddenly, it just came on. Wish I could figure this stupid thing out.

1989Buickguy
01-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Today it worked fine, got so hot after 20 miles I put it on low. That was it, didn't go on again.

No pattern to this goofy thing! :naughty:

jmarhal
01-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Man, you may have an electrical problem.

89T Type Chick
01-18-2004, 08:04 PM
1989Buickguy~I had a similare problem happen to me w/ my Lesabre last winter. For a couple of weeks it would work whenever it wanted to and in the beginning when I smacked under the dash it would work. Slowly it started to get worse and, like you said, there was no pattern to its maddness!! Finally, one day it totally quite on me and I had nothing.

The next day I hit the junkyard and pulled a blower motor off of another Lesabre and swapped it with mine....good as new! :thumbsup:

I don't know if you've tried this yet or not, but that might be the problem-Just an idea. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!