Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Blazer Engine Noise / Rattle ??

Alexxn 00 Si
12-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Onto my next problem.....I am having a noise / light rattle sound coming from my dash / engine when I accelerate....(Blazer has 65K) I put a stethoscope to the belt accessories and found an irregular noise coming from the belt tensioner. I replaced it (was told by the dealer they are common to go) but the noise is still there. It's hard to explain - I hear it until I get up to about 30 mph, 2K RPMS then the engine quiets down to where it should be....it's almost as if one of the other accessories is making noise.

Anyone have any ideas ? Possibly a common problem ? Or did anyone experience this and find a solution ?

Thanks.

dnitzman
12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Have you found any answers to this problem. I have the same exact thing. I have almost 67000 miles. It started out as a ticking sound. Now it sounds like a knocking or metal to metal sound. It is also accompanied by a misfire, but the engine runs real smooth. Would love to know if you have found an answer.

Thanks

Alexxn 00 Si
12-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Have you found any answers to this problem. I have the same exact thing. I have almost 67000 miles. It started out as a ticking sound. Now it sounds like a knocking or metal to metal sound. It is also accompanied by a misfire, but the engine runs real smooth. Would love to know if you have found an answer.

Thanks

No answers yet....although I am starting to think more and more that it's coming from the gauge cluster and not the engine....I am going to try and pull a fuse to disable the tach, etc.....it sounds a noisy old electric clock running...but if you give it the gas it goes away as the RPM's rise.....

swalt
12-29-2003, 08:42 PM
There is a bulletin out on the 2000 Blazers for the hood hinges. I was having a similar rattle. Dealer installed some washers on the hood hinges as per TSB.

cobra1
01-01-2004, 02:31 AM
i believe the noise you are referring too could the timing chain, for which there is a tensioner available.
i couldnt find a service bulletin for it, but i did however find this as well.....

Info - Information on Engine/Balance Shaft Rattle Noise #00-06-01-023A
Information on Engine/Balance Shaft "Rattle" Noise
1992-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, S/T, M/L, G and P Models

1992-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

1992-2001 Isuzu Hombre

with 4.3 L V6 Engine (VINs W, X -- RPOs L35, LF6)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-01-023 (Section 06 -- Engine).

The following information is to be used when diagnosing noise conditions such as an engine "rattle" noise, spark knock, etc.. The noise may occur in the 2000-2500 RPM range, under a moderate to heavy load, with a warmed-up engine. This noise may be due to a natural torsional vibration in the cam drive system, loading and unloading of the balance shaft and gear drive assembly. GMPT Engineering has determined that this noise does not present any durability risks to the engine or any of its components. Attempts to solve the noise condition by changing cam drive or balance shaft components may prove unsuccessful. It is imperative that all normal diagnostic techniques be followed to assure that the rattle noise is not spark knock, piston rattle, bearing knock, or some other noise for which repairs should be made.

Alexxn 00 Si
01-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the ideas eveyone...it turns out it was the power steering pump....dealer replaced it to fix a leak and now it's gone !

hootymo
12-19-2005, 03:20 AM
No answers yet....although I am starting to think more and more that it's coming from the gauge cluster and not the engine....I am going to try and pull a fuse to disable the tach, etc.....it sounds a noisy old electric clock running...but if you give it the gas it goes away as the RPM's rise.....

i am experiencing this also, this "old clock running" sound at low rpm's. however, it was not my power steering pump doing it. i know it is not my engine, it is definitely something rattling in the dash/cluster. anyone have this problem besides me who could shed some light on it? thanks

Add your comment to this topic!