Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Snow Tires

michyusa
12-09-2003, 11:10 AM
don't laugh too hard...I realize this car isn't supposed to be driven in snow and should be parked in a nice, warm garage for the winter while I drive some less enthralling front wheel drive car, but I can't do it. So I'm here to ask, has anyone found 18 inch tires for this monster? Don't even suggest tirerack.com, cuz, they don't have 'em (the factory that makes 18 inch tires, and this is no joke, burned down 3 months ago). And if you're thinking "get new rims with those tires and go smaller, like a 16 inch", you have much to learn about the RX-8's spify valve system, that protects you from flat tires, but costs $110 per tire to put on a new rim. If you're still with me, just know that the 16inch option, with mazda specs for rims and decent $125 tires, will run about $560. Yes, that's per tire. Lemme know. Thanks!

Steel
12-09-2003, 11:02 PM
i do know that there are 18 inch tirechains available from tirechain.com. I'd suggest blizzak's as the snow tires, but i'm not sure if they are availabe in 18 inch sizes.

rxcollector
12-25-2003, 10:03 PM
Sorry bud, I too am a winter rx-8 driver and there are NO options for us (they do make a studless for $320 Ea)
Also chains can NOT be used an the rx-7 or rx-8

michel denis
01-03-2004, 06:21 AM
see pirelli 240 snow sport. available in 225/45/18 v I dont know the price

RX-8SpdDmn
01-03-2004, 09:05 AM
There are many 225/40/18 snow tires out there. You'd have to deal with your speedo being thrown off a bit.

kimkim
01-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Exactly how bad is the RX8 in the snow?? I'm thinking about getting one but know that it's probablly not the best decision since I live North. The dealer told me it's not that bad...is he kidding me or what???

trace
02-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Yea living in MN I'm having my problems too with finding snow tires, rims, and dealerships that have something close. Even where I bought the car is out of snow tires for most models.

I've surfed the web since I got the car a couple of days before x-mas, and no one, I mean no one, has the 225/45-18 in stock anymore. Firestone is sold out, Yoka's have a 225/45-18 but their stock is gone too. The Yoka. rep told me that there were a whole slew of cars this year that have that size/style of tire and the mfg. underestimated the demand so every little dealership is out for the season.

I tried to order the dunlop M3 which were 225/40 over the net and new rims, and the people called and said with that tire I'd suffer tire and rim damage??? Not sure how, but I cancelled the order anyway.

All the local vendors like Fred's etc. keep pushing me to 17's and average snow tires since it all they have and even then I'd have to wait a month or more, and with the pressure sensors on the RX-8 they want an additional 180 per rim verage to take care of that.

I'm at the point where I'm about to shelf the car and borrow one of my parents for this winter season. We got 14" over the last 2 days and I couldn't even get the thing out of the driveway even after shoveling and having the roads some what plowed out.

If anyone strikes it rich or lucks out, let me know.

bradcfi
02-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Exactly how bad is the RX8 in the snow?? I'm thinking about getting one but know that it's probablly not the best decision since I live North. The dealer told me it's not that bad...is he kidding me or what???
Say the word "snow" and the RX8 will spin those Bridgestones. Their just like slicks. But there the best you can get for dry road handling and good for preventing hydrplaning. These same tires are on many a new sports car. (BMW, Lexus, etc.)

Add your comment to this topic!