Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator Repair

kuto
12-09-2003, 08:59 AM
After washing my engine two weeks back , i killed my alternator.replaced the rotor and regulator on it.....working now and outputs 14.5v.....even as alternator is functional my ABS, BATTERY and i think CONVERTER/HEATER leds are ON, on the dashboard.....does anyone hav an idea how to fix this issue?

i_a_n112784
12-09-2003, 10:53 AM
I don't know how you washed your engine, but I've never had that happen......

But for your problem, I think you have to replace the alternator. I think the real problem is the voltage regulator, but I believe that it is built onto the alternator, and can't be easily removed.

Something similar happened on my dad's new truck, all lights would get real bright, and the ABS light would come on, and the voltage would go up to something insane like 16-18v. Ford just replaced the alternator to fix it.

BullShifter
12-12-2003, 12:58 AM
I would think about replacing the alternator.

My question would be: How did you "wash" the engine? I've seen cars come in detailed by outside compaines all fucked up, even the pro's mess them up sometimes. You need to be very careful during the process & chemical selection. Did you use any silicone dressings?

Tip: NEVER get the alternator or any sensitive electronics wet when cleaning. Clean those areas with a very mild chemical & brush/towel.

Add your comment to this topic!