Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LS?VTEC project idea

Pyros 97GS
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Ok I having been doing a liitle bit of research lately about the LS/VTEC's. Several people have told me that the LS/VTEC will produce around 170 -190 hp, is this true ? I've been thinking about taking my motor and making it a LS/VTEC using a B16A head. Also I want to convert it from automatic. With the motor being built I also want to raise the compression. Several people also told me this was a bad idea. I also had a question about how port and polishing, and boring it out would work. Does anyone have any knowledge of previous projects like the one I want to do. Have a all motor LS/VTEC.

So far the parts that I know I need/ the things I think I need to have I have listed below. Could you tell me what else I would need ?
Manual Tranny
B16A Head
Oil Lines
Pistons, Rods, Valves
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
Get somethings plugged
Skunk2, Toda, Spoon, or Crane Cams
Cam Gears
Pulley Set
ECU

Then I also had a question about having the block bored out and having a port/polish job down too. Is this a overkill ? And does anyone know like a good price range for my future project.

:banghead: can someone give me some insight :banghead:

whtteg
12-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Well if you are going to bore out the block then I would just get a whole B18C1 swap and bore that out. It will be just as fast as the LS/VTEC, by the time you get done the two motors will be almost thye same except the LS/VTEC motor will have slightly more displacement and the B18C1 motor will have oil squirters. Also you cam swap in a B18B1 crankshaft and rods and make the B18C1 have the same displacement as the LS/VTEC. The reason for the shprter stroke on the B18C1 is so that the R/S ratio is higher so you can visit higher rpm with less chance of damage.

Mrock
12-09-2003, 04:49 PM
I won't speak about the C1 swap, because I have no experience with it, but my brother has an LS/VTEC setup right now (bored to 2.0, fully built..Hondata takes care of management). He is currently making 400whp on his precision turbo at conservative boost levels (12-14 psi. The old setup was at 18 psi). LS/VTEC's have my vote..but I would tend to agree with wtteg on this one...I would personally just go with the B18C1, because the LS/VTEC is nice, but a B18C1 might be more practical for you.

Add your comment to this topic!