Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

water pump time to change?

rdvteg95
12-08-2003, 09:30 PM
my 95 LS has 94K on it and i was wondering when i should replace the waterpump and what exactly does the waterpump do could this be a reason why my engine temp increases really fast??

BullShifter
12-08-2003, 11:00 PM
I would change the water pump & timing belt if it were my car. Water pumps do just what it says, circulates coolant through the engine block driven by the timing belt. A bad water pump could start leaking all over the t/belt, making it weak, and eventually breaking. Usually @ 90K(i think for '95) you should change the t/belt along with the water pump, theres no sense on paying for all that labor twice.

When does the temp. increase quickly? At idle or while driving

Spectre927
12-09-2003, 12:51 AM
I would change the water pump & timing belt if it were my car. Water pumps do just what it says, circulates coolant through the engine block driven by the timing belt. A bad water pump could start leaking all over the t/belt, making it weak, and eventually breaking. Usually @ 90K(i think for '95) you should change the t/belt along with the water pump, theres no sense on paying for all that labor twice.

whats that last part about?

Yeah, get the complete timing belt replacement, its about $450, but you need it. My friends mechanic told him 100K, no more, no less, but I did mine at 110. I bought it at 90, so I wasnt sure if it had been done, so if it hadnt, Im one lucky mother fucker. If it had been done, oh well...

BullShifter
12-09-2003, 12:57 AM
what last part?

Spectre927
12-09-2003, 01:04 AM

What does is mean, like if it increases quickly at idle or while driving, whats that mean mechanically, just curious? My temp increases while i drive, if I dont let it idle for like 10 mins, which is normal Im sure.

rdvteg95
12-09-2003, 09:57 AM
yeah while im driving at first the temp increases really fast probably about a quarter of from the middle line what does a water pump cost and what will installation end up being. And my timing belt has been changed already so nothing to worry about there

BullShifter
12-09-2003, 11:55 AM
The engine should heat up that fast while driving or 10-15mins at idle. I would say replacing the water pump is a big deal if you had the timing belt replaced already. Now your paying for all that labor again, if you would have done at the same time as the t/belt then the price would have increased slightly.

Water pump alone is 3-3.5hrs of labor + parts/coolant/tax.with the timing belt, the water pump would have added only .5-1.0hrs of labor to the job.

Spectre927
12-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Or they may have evn just charged you for what the water pump cost, but now its gonna be a lot more.

rdvteg95
12-09-2003, 09:30 PM
so do you think i could be loosing power at all

Spectre927
12-09-2003, 10:17 PM
I suppose the engine will get hotter, and unnecessary heat is never a good thing, but thats probly the least of your worries...

BullShifter
12-10-2003, 12:22 AM
so do you think i could be loosing power at all
I don't know, I can't hear or see it. In most cases a bad pump will be noisy(hum) or leak. If its leaking you will see coolant dripping from the t/belt cover. With your mileage & the car being that old - changing the water pump would be priority if it were mine. When the pump goes out, it usually takes the timing belt with it. I don't know if you know what happens when it breaks but, its not good. The pistons usually smack the valves causing bent valves, holes in the pistons, all types of expensive stuff.

I've seen it happen many times

rdvteg95
12-10-2003, 09:51 AM
ill probably end up waiting till spring to install a new pump i think it can wait a little longer considering nothing is leaking at all

BullShifter
12-10-2003, 08:12 PM
The trick with Honda/Acura's is to replace the water pump/timing belt before its bad - water pumps/timing belts are much cheaper than an engines.

ManOnTheGo
12-11-2003, 02:20 PM
It's a good suggestion to have both timing belt and water pump done at the same time.

However, you should always verify the condition of the timing belt and water pump.

You can check the timing belt by carefully prying part of the lower plastic belt cover from the engine on the driver side. Make sure you don't pull it completely off or else you will not be able to put it back on. Use a flashlight and check for rubber debris within the belt housing. If you see black dust-like chunks of rubber, it means your belt is chewed up and you'll need to get it changed.

Regarding hot engines. Hot is relative, so if your temperature gauge is not going beyond the half-way point, it's OK. Anything above half-way can be dangerous for your engine.

Hot engines can be due to many things:
Thermosensor cable touching the engine block Leaky gaskets (head gasket for instance) -> low coolant, oil Sticky thermostat (stuck closed causes hot engines, or stuck open causes cold engines) Low engine coolant -> leaking coolant system Leaky or punctured or broken radiator -> low coolantBefore you change the waterpump check the following:
Coolant hoses and clamps Squeaking belts due to coolant leaks Residue around the engine block gaskets and radiator Low coolant levels in the overflow tank Leaks around your radiatorIf your coolant is low, wipe off any old residue around the engine block, radiator, and coolant hoses. Fill the overflow reservoir to max and run your engine for a while. Check the level and fill it to max if necessary. Check for leaks. If you find none, check again in a week. If you see a significant coolant level drop over a week, check for residue. If you're seeing significant residue beneath the engine block, it's probably the water pump leaking, in which case, get it changed.

Spectre927
12-11-2003, 02:36 PM
In regards to checking your timing belt visually, I've heard its whats on the inside that counts. You can typically get a general idea of the condition, but not always. But they say you cant really rely on that.

ManOnTheGo
12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
In regards to checking your timing belt visually, I've heard its whats on the inside that counts. You can typically get a general idea of the condition, but not always. But they say you cant really rely on that.Acura uses extreme wear resistant polyurethane timing belts. In controlled test environments, all timing belts should have equal life expectancy, plus or minus some small standard deviaton from the mean life expectancy.

Unfortunately in the real world, varying conditions -- such as climate and driving environments -- cause larger standard deviations in life expectancy. Extreme temperatures and different driving conditions add stress to a car's timing belt, reducing a timing belt's life expectancy.

One constant is that all polymers plasticize and become brittle over time.

Given consistent polymer pasticization and varying climate/driving conditions, you get a large standard deviation for life expectancy. This is why Acura only suggests changing the timing belt after a certain mileage (the mean life expectancy).

The internal condition and outward appearance of a timing belt should reflect one another. I've never seen or heard of a cracked or chewed up timing belt that was still good on the inside. In contrast, most timing belts that appear to be outwardly good, but turn out bad, are results of poor inspection.

The key to inspection is to carefully look for cracks at places where the belt bends. The same inspection process is done on gaskets/o-rings used in million dollar vacuum systems. In extreme cases of degradation, pieces of the belt can be found within the belt cover housing.

cuba3377
12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
engines are made to run in closed loop. besides, if ur car is at idle, and its standing still and its cold, ur fan wont be on until it reaches the right temp, and with no air going through the radiator, it should go up rather quickly ^^

Add your comment to this topic!