Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heavy Duty Hybrid Pickups: Fuel Efficiency and Mobile Electric Power Source

Bruce Levinson
12-08-2003, 05:11 PM
A major automaker has annouced plans to bring gasoline-electric hybrid versions of its biggest heavy duty pickup trucks to market by the Fall of 2004. The 2500 and 3500 series Ram pickups are expected to offer about a 10% improvement in fuel economy over comparable gasoline or diesel powered trucks. The Business section of the MySanAntonio.com website notes that "the fact that there can be a measurable increase in fuel economy in such a large and powerful vehicle as a heavy-duty Ram is significant." The heavy duty pickups are civilian versions of a vehicle origninally developed for the U.S. military.

Of particular note, the pickups can be used as an electric power source. "The electric motor, when turned by the vehicle's diesel engine, acts as a generator to put out 5 kilowatts of electricity in standard models or up to 10 kilowatts in high-output versions." The manufacturer "says that is enough power to operate the average residence and enough for most construction sites." The trucks will offer "two 120-volt and one 240-volt receptacles, and there will be a 120-volt receptacle in the center console inside the vehicle." An additional benefit of the hybrid vehicles will be reduced tailpipe emissions when operating on streets and highways.

The website notes that "this won't be a mass-market vehicle, but it does indicate that automakers are serious about putting hybrid vehicles onto the market in many different configurations." Clearly a positive example of civilian use of military technology.

Read story (http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=110&xlc=1094391)

badassgremlin
12-13-2003, 10:38 AM
OH MAN! i couldnt doit i just cant i dont see myself driving a hybrid truck! it doesnt feel right i know it helps the enviroment but its just not right

Add your comment to this topic!