Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing front dash cover...

tarrant77
12-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey guys. I'm a new member to the forums, and I'm really a beginner to the world of car modding.

I have a 1992 Buick Lesabre Limited

I just bought a sound system and most of my plans for having friends install it have fallen through, and I've just decided to give it a try myself. Before I break anything...

I want to get the front dash off so that I can get to the 4x6 speakers.

Can anyone tell me how to get it off, without breaking anything?(I mean the plastic piece at the top)

Gerald K4NHN
12-08-2003, 09:28 PM
I don't have a 92, but I have a 88 and it has a piece that goes all the way across the top, close to the wind shield. It just snaps in place.

Good luck
Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, sC

file13stuff
12-08-2003, 09:42 PM
I also do not have a '92, but on my '94 I had to start by taking the vents out and removing the screws that were behind them.

Hope that helps.

HannabilRox
12-17-2003, 04:30 PM
I have a 1990 LeSabre, and you remove the long plastic vent piece from the top of the dash (just is a pressure fit, so it snaps out). Remove 5 screws along the underside of the dashpad (one to the left of the steering wheel, one to the right, one by the radio area and two by the glove box). Then there are 5 screws inside the dash where you removed the long plastic vent piece that point down and towards the front of the car. It is a tight reach, so chances are you will be hitting the glass with your hand as you unscrew these. After removing all 10 screws, you will need to put the gearshift in D or 1 then slide the dash forward. Before pulling it all the way out, on the left side underneath, slide out the dash light lens for the headlight switch/dimmer, or remove the light socket. The dashboard should be free to remove. A Torx 15 screwdriver should be all you need! The speakers are mounted on either side face up.

OniEmu
10-14-2004, 04:07 PM
I also have a '92 LeSabre Limited, how did you get the dash vents removed to get at the radio?

homeskillit37
10-15-2004, 04:18 AM
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalBuickLeSabre.htm
take a look at this site to get the dash apart to put in a new head unit. gives good advice. not sure about the speakrs though.

OniEmu
10-15-2004, 07:00 AM
thanks, I tried it, but i cant get the vent to release from the panel. Any help?

rustbucket
10-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Ditto HannabilRox, Ive had mine out many times on my '87.

homeskillit37
10-15-2004, 09:03 AM
to remove the vents i turned them to where the left side is sticking out as far as it will go and the right side is pointed in the dash. then i used a small screwdriver to pry the vent out.

OniEmu
10-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks a lot!! This really helps out

Add your comment to this topic!