Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Factory-fitted kitchens query

tigermaul
12-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Has anyone got a Friendee with a factory-fitted kitchen? Is it easy to get the gas cannisters to fit, does it reduce the number of berths (I've seen some advertised as 3 berths rather than four)? I'm thinking this may be the cheapest way to get one with basic camping facilities but still keep the maximum number of seats.

Also does anyone have any experience of Bridgegate Motors in Edenbridge, Kent or recommendations about the other convertors. Does the Little Movers conversion still allow four berths?

Hope someone can help!

andy_and_jane
12-23-2003, 11:22 AM
I guess if you are looking for a Bongo with kitchen facilities and the maximum number of seats, then the version with the factory fitted kitchen would be best, with 6 seats. Alternatively, maybe you could buy a cool box and cooker unit and put them in the boot !! We have recently bought a 1997 Bongo with fitted kitchenette and spent a lot of time looking at vehicles before deciding on which one to buy. The quality varies and the fit and finish seems to be in proportion to what you pay for, but generally I guess just ask all the questions to a few reputable dealers and see what they say

tigermaul
12-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Hi - thanks for the reply. Since I posted I visited a few dealers and saw a couple of Bongos with the factory kitchen. The cooker is v. basic (like the single ring butane cylinder portable camping hobs you can get for about £25). The sink has a shower attachment which can clip onto the tailgate - the model I saw even had a rare tailgate awning, so quite tempting. But the mains link up is 110v so I think you need to convert if you want to run off mains. I also went to see the DriveSleep conversions - these seemed very good. They do a new basic version with just a cooker, sink and cupboard which still allows six Mazda seats to stay. I think I'd prefer a fridge and then just use a portable gas camping hob on top of the worktop - a fridge is what I have missed most when camping in the past. Who did your conversion?

mundoed
02-05-2004, 02:59 PM
I just purchased a SGL3 from AVA, they also maid a simple kitcken/fridge/sink unit for £640 that is very smart, sturdy and very well finished. It's completely silent, ratle free, when cruising and when closed is very tidy. I havent cook yet but i'm sure it will work fine. Getting some exterior cooker is recomended, nothing beats that paella outdoors!

I've sacrifice the double bed inside as up there looks and feels comfy and that's were we will sleep..

Im getting maid a high density foam mattress with a square cut off (for the catflap) the middle. The middle piece will be inserted when hacht is closed.

I visited a few and ended at AVA, Vaughan is knollegable and very helpfull. Safe buying from him. But not the bestes prices.

Go-bon-Go!

Hobbit
02-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Hi I have a bongo with out kitchen facilities but when travelling I load my three way fridge, self made water and sink unit and 110amp liesure battery and invertor into the space behind the seats. I cook on one of those gas rings that fold away into a plastic case.

The seats are un-affected, pull the back seats forawrd to access the fridge etc. Underseat storage accommodates utensils etc.

I used to have an auto-sleeper with a galley so the bongo is very different, more like camping and you can park and travel at a reasonsable speed,I prefer to cook outside. I also have a two ring petrol cooker, cheapest fuel and best heat.

In the roof bed I have two self inflating mattresses, remnants of my camping days and very comfortable.

ePersonally I think the Bongo is too small for 2 to holiday in I would take a tent or stay at a hotel.

Phil
I

Add your comment to this topic!