Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dark sticky crap on the inside of my wheel... wtf

Ricochet
12-08-2003, 02:19 PM
For a while my car's been slightly pulling to the left and I just thought I needed an alignment until now. I had a thick layer of gunk built up on the inside of my front rims for about 2 months... wtf is that? Can't be brake dust, my dad says a wheel bearing blew out or something? Could that be the reason my alignment's off? Somebody help me out, thanks.

BullShifter
12-08-2003, 02:38 PM
I would guess the CV boots have split/torn and now the grease is all over.

whtteg
12-08-2003, 03:42 PM
I would guess the CV boots have split/torn and now the grease is all over.

Thats what i was thinking, that stuff is hella nasty to clean up. :p I would think if the wheel bearing went out that you would feel a vibration real bad in the steering wheel. Just to make sure that it is not the wheel bearing jack the car up and try tpo turn the wheel and see if you hear a grinding noise.

cvcc_wagon
12-08-2003, 08:04 PM
if its the cv boot you will see as soon as you look under the car. if its the bearing it would not only pull to the side but also make lots of noise and you would probally have notived it before it failed, assuming it failed

Doubletap
12-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Definitly a CV boot that has cracked or split. That's all the grease that is supposed to be keeping your joint in working order. You wanna get that repacked and a new boot on their as soon as possible or you could be looking for a new half shaft for christmas

DoubleTap

crxlvr
12-09-2003, 03:54 PM
could just be road tar also, dont always assume the worst.

Doubletap
12-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Good point but I think it would be hard to pick up a signifigant amount of road tar to coat the inside the wheel. And only on one wheel. Just my thoughts

DoubleTap

Miataracer
12-09-2003, 11:50 PM
if you are running stock cv shafts don't waste the time to repack and put new boots on them. just get a remanufactured one from an auto parts place and then give them back your core. I have redone several half shafts from Miatas/RX7s and it has got to be one of the dirtiest jobs I have done yet. In fact I was working on a set just tonight and I still have grease on my hands/arms... LOL I am not sure about the Honda cv shafts but I imagine it is going to be similar to the Mazda half shafts. that means to put on a new boot you have to take one of the joints apart to be able to get the boot onto the shaft then clean, reassemble, grease the joiint, then put the boot over it. if you do choose to go through this trouble make sure to clean the joint very well (brake cleaner does this nicely) and then inspect it. finish it off with redline cv2 grease and you should be good to go

BullShifter
12-09-2003, 11:58 PM
:iagree: repalcing axles is much cleaner & faster. 2 axles cost about what 4 boot kits cost.

Ricochet
12-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Okay my boot is cracked and covered with the stuff... I have no time to do this job, nor the will to sit out in the cold. How much is a stock boot? I can't imagine the labor taking any more than 30 min to an hour so I may just have a shop do it.

BullShifter
12-12-2003, 03:42 PM
1 boot kit is normally around $30 & labor is usually 1-1.5hrs for 1(single) boot. Your better off getting a reman. axle & popping that in.

Axle - about $60 + core
Labor - 1hr

Ricochet
12-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Are B16A shafts just as strong? If I go ask for a Civic Type R shaft I'll get some very funny looks..

whtteg
12-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Are B16A shafts just as strong? If I go ask for a Civic Type R shaft I'll get some very funny looks..

HAHA I did not even think about you having the B16B LOL. I guess you would get some funny looks. But I must warn you before you get reman axles I have a set and i don't like them, they are missing the rubber damper?? or waht ever is on the stock axle and the remans vibrate a little too much for me. And before someone says it yes I got an alignment right after installing the axles.

Add your comment to this topic!