Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

accident involving a 2001 mirage

viper1452
12-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey guys...

I'm more of a computer guy then a car guy, so I don't know if this is the place to ask or if I'm in the right spot. So I guess I'll just go ahead and post anyway...

I got into an accident in front of my local Wal-Mart this evening and backed into someone. I was driving a 1992 Ford Mustang LX and the other guy was driving a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage. We exchanged insurance and we both came to the conclusion it was my fault (long story short, I didn't look in my rearview window). We also decided that since it was pretty minor we would let him take the car to his friend who does detailing work and if it was less than then it would cost through insurance we wouldn't have to report it.

Damage was done to the fender on the driver's side, with maybe 1 or 2 little cracks and some gashes/scratches the size of a couple of toothpicks, along with some of my crappy red Maaco paint smeared in a golfball-size area.

Now.. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost at a body shop (even though he is having a friend do it for him) to replace a fender and repaint it, along with labor, etc. I looked up the cost of a fender and it's about $50-100... so... yeah... that's all I know.

Oh, and I was also wondering if it would be reasonable if he could just fix it with putty and paint.. or something like that. (*shakes head* I know nothing about car damage.)

Any help would be appreciated.... thanks a lot if anyone posts.

krinkle
03-15-2004, 01:15 PM
It's never good to fix your car with just putty and paint. If you want your car to be a quick fix so you can sell it, then go ahead. If you want your car top retain some sort of value then do it right.

Add your comment to this topic!