Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad Timing Belt Change = Rod-Bearing Damage?

GivenItUp
12-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi all,

My 1997 Tercel was at it's 6th year without a timing belt change so i figured it was due. I took it in got it changed for $350CDN roughly add taxes.

The day after I hit the highway took it up to about 100km/hr then starting hearing some clanking later that night.

Took it back to see if the belt was doing something, they checked and said engine was messed up. One of the piston rod-bearings ended up with about 1/4 inch of clearance making a slap everytime.

It clanked loudest at 1st and 2nd gears but once it hits 3rd gear it quieted down.

I had to get that whole engine replaced!!! I took it to another mechanic who found me a used one with 40,000km on it for $750CDN + labour... sheesh.

My question is, can a bad timing belt change kill the engine like that? He claims he's seen it happen on 3 other toyotas. Said that sometimes infrequent oil changes leaves too much gunk in the engine. And if I did an engine flush at a Mr.Lube place it just kicks that gunk up and gums up the engine.

Is this true or is he just avoiding responsibility? I'm wondering if i have a case to claim back money for a bad time belt change and the cost of the new engine.

I'm indebted to any help any of you gurus might have!

G

ps. the new engine seems a bit peppier but i think it's the same model

pps. oh.. there wasn't a flywheel on the used engine, so a slightly bigger one was used.. now it makes some clacking noise.. anyway to fix that?

rxbandits
12-08-2003, 11:28 AM
What exaclty happend to the timing belt? Yes a timing belt can kill and engine like that, but it depends how he installed the timing belt wether it was to loose or not timed correctly. I would be guessing you have a case to claim. Did they use the stock clutch with the slightly larger flywheel im not mechanic but that may cause the noise.

Add your comment to this topic!