Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Static Electricity???

lusky
12-06-2003, 08:35 PM
OK, I've owned several autos in my life, but I've never had one create static electricity like my newly purchased 2003 Trailblazer.

I thought it was just the weather change, but it's still happening. Ride in this thing for more than 5 minutes, and as you exit the vehicle, touching the door can produce an arc up to an inch long!!!

Passengers get the shock, too!

None of my other vehicles do this, has anyone ever noticed this, or do I possibly have a grounding problem on the truck?

pchz
12-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Nothing is wrong with the TB. I used to (and still sometimes do) have the same problem. I have cloth and it's just like rubbing your feet on a carpet and touching a door knob. I installed seat covers for the passenger and driver seats to prevent dirt and this.

leopardmech
12-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Two solutions for your problem
1) is spray the seats with static guard, you know the stuff your wife uses on her dresses
2) install a ground strap it is a rubber strap you secure to the frame or differential and it drags on the ground
Good Luck
Leopardmech

ncsutrlblzr02
01-21-2004, 11:26 PM
I agree completely. I Have a 2002 Trailblazer and I as well get shocked everytime I get out of the car. I hate it. I think I may have to use that static gaurd. I dont want to put seat covers on my car. :-(

any other suggestions?

Thanks!

VJS1958
02-07-2004, 03:39 PM
My company just offered us Trailblazers as an option to the Venture vans issued in the past. Those of us who've switched ( me included ) can't believe the huge static discharge we get exiting the truck. My previous 2 Ventures had carpet and cloth seats and the static from them was much less.

a1supersport
02-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Hopefully everyone with this problem will "discharge" themselves before they open the gas cap, or grab the fuel nozzle at the gas station. From what I've read, older people "grab" the pillars of their car when getting out, discharging themselves as they exit. The younger people tend to "hop" out of their cars, carrying the charge with them...right to the filler cap/fuel nozzle. I guess you could say the minor shock is acceptable, compared the fire/explosion that could happen if you don't discharge yourself :O.

03SSEi
02-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Fabric sheets for your dryer will take care of this problem also, just wipe them on the seats.

White04TBLT
02-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I get this too but only when i wear my leather jacket. gotta try the fabric sheets now

trailsharky
03-21-2004, 07:05 PM
I get this a lot, regardless of season, although it happens less on rainy days. I get the worst shock when wearing my some what dressy shoes that I wear for work but not with my sneakers or workboots and all 3 have rubber soles.

devblaze
03-30-2004, 07:23 PM
I get this a lot too and was hoping it wasn't some type of electrical problem as mine is no longer under warranty (mileage). Nice to know it's easily fixable.

timimpalaSS
06-02-2004, 08:08 PM
The best way has been described already, install the grounding strap. However, I had a rental that shocked me allot so I used my shoed foot to close the door instead of my hand :iceslolan Shoes are adequate insulators for that type of voltage.

Add your comment to this topic!