Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 buick lesabre no start security problem

mrscoots
12-06-2003, 08:18 PM
I have 97 lesabre that occasionally does not start. The starter motor will not turn when the key is turned to the start position. When this happens, the security light will blink or just stay on, when normally it goes off after a few seconds. This problem occurs every few days, only with the car cold. The car will usually start after waiting 5-10 minutes. When the car does start, it will continue starting just fine for a few days. Switching between the two factory keys makes no difference. Jumping the starter solonoid makes the car start and only run for a few seconds. Any way to repair this problem or just permanently disable the security system would be fine with me.

tdenkler
12-06-2003, 11:54 PM
If you have another key, try using this key only for a while.
These have those funky(expensive) security strip in the key itself. If it's worn,dirty,etc, may be causing problem

mrscoots
12-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks....but neither key works. The car is completely disabled now. Maybe I can find the right wires under the dash and solder a key down there and bypass the whole ignition switch. Jumping the fuel pump relay doesn't fix the problem; the car keeps cutting off probably because the pcm stops the spark if the computer is in "security" mode.

These have those funky(expensive) security strip in the key itself. If it's worn,dirty,etc, may be causing problem

mrscoots
12-08-2003, 04:33 PM
I fixed the problem!!! There is 2 ways to fix the problem: 1) replace key cylinder (very difficult) OR 2) look for 2 small white wires encased in an orange cover at the bottom of the steering column at the big steering column connector. Cut the two small white wires and connect a resistor of the same resistance of your key chip onto the two white wires leading into the connector. Voila, problem solved! Of course, it is now easier for your car to get stolen, but who cares?? No one will know you bypassed the key chip circuit unless you tell them.

Grumpybear
04-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Trying to find someone who knows about disconnecting a wire in the trunk of the 1997 Buick Le Sabre to bypass the failing security system

g_ropp
07-02-2010, 09:09 PM
hey i have the same problem could ya tell me what would hold the same resistance as the key so i can get mine up n goin ty

happydog500
07-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I did this to my 97. You can get a resistor at Radio Shack for about a buck. My wires I think where the two orange wires.
Do a search for it, if I remember right, there is picture instructions I used. makes it very easy to do.

I looked in the manual and the ignition switch looks easy. I want to get mine back to original without the resistor.

The "expensive Security Strip Key" I found on ebay for, 3 for $7.

imidazol97
07-03-2010, 03:03 PM
hey i have the same problem could ya tell me what would hold the same resistance as the key so i can get mine up n goin ty

http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfn7J9CeZM

These may help.

It's easiest to just bypass the wires going up the column to the ignition switch by putting the correct resistor between the wires at the bottom of the column.

Theft alarm people get packs of resistors to replace this since they bypass them all the time.

Jrs3800
07-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Thats a good bypass... Have seen a handful of the PK II systems done this way...

But I am lucky enough to have a Tuner( DHP here ) and Buddy of mine has the HPT... For my cars and the cars I have that have been updated to the newer PCM I simply go in and Turn off the security in the Bin File...

So for you readers out there, if you have a Friend with a DHP or HP Tuner this is also an option for you...

The inline resistor is a very cheap and quick fix.. My 94 SSE is done this way as well...lol

imidazol97
07-04-2010, 04:33 PM
But I am lucky enough to have a Tuner( DHP here ) and Buddy of mine has the HPT... For my cars and the cars I have that have been updated to the newer PCM I simply go in and Turn off the security in the Bin File...

So for you readers out there, if you have a Friend with a DHP or HP Tuner this is also an option for you...

Are you saying all of these can be turned off via the TECH II or other computer?

Jrs3800
07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
On the GM's yes this is possible.. I do this with my DHP Tuner... An example is my van... I have a 1997 PCM in my 95 Trans Sport, with the Series III swap( engine is series III, top parts are series II )...

There is a Field for VTD or Vehicle Theft Deterrent, This can be Disabled in the PCM Bin File, this being for the 97..

If you had an older LeSabre say 1992-1994 the Security can be turned off in the EPROM if you know anyone that writes EPROM's...

Add your comment to this topic!