Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SAAB Sonett 3

saabsonettguy
12-04-2003, 12:53 PM
I just bought a 1973 SAAB Sonett 3. I am going to restore it in the spring when it gets warmer. For those that don't know the saab sonett was a limited production fiberglass sports car. The body is wedge shaped and is all fiberglass. The car is 12 ft 9 in long, 4 ft 11 in wide and 3 ft 11 in tall with an aerodynamic drag coefficient of 0.31. It has a Ford four-stroke overhead valve V4 motor pumping out 65 horsepower at 4700 rpm and 85 lb feet of torque at 2500 rpm. Even though the horsepower is low to todays standards it propells the car well at only 1805 lbs. The main problem with these cars is that when the seals start to leak the floors start to gather water and rust out.

jboz
01-27-2004, 05:49 AM
Cool! Good for you! I fell in love with the Sonett when I saw one - prob'ly a '73 - when I was a kid. 1st Saab I ever noticed. They are the cutest little $hit. I envy ya - would love to find one that was restorable. Does it run? Need any mech. work? 'Glass & paint isn't too bad, but I would expect parts are going to be tought to find.

saabsonettguy
02-16-2004, 11:45 AM
it runs but it needs a full restore. they are really good for rusting out.it is rough but fixable i have seen worse. the parts are hard to find, but most can be found. some can be swaped from other cars

zingZACH
04-28-2004, 10:05 PM
at least the body's dont rust ;) lol.. gotta love fiberglass.. good buy! Vintage saabs are the best.. I would kill for a 2 stroke 92, 93B, or 96 bullnose :) If I were to get a Sonett, i would chose the Sonett II first ;) But I love all Sonett's...

Add your comment to this topic!