Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dyno tuning question

pbizzlegsr
12-03-2003, 07:42 PM
i currently have a 99 gsr with i/h/e..i have ctr cams that will soon be installed along with aem cam gears..i read everywhere that i should get my car dyno tuned to get max performance..the thing is can i just bring my car to a shop to get it dyno tuned with that setup or do i need some sort of vtec controller like an apexi vafc to use to tune?..im new to tuning so it might be an obvious question..anu recommended places around the bay? besides dsr? thanks

got v-tec?
12-04-2003, 12:34 AM
go get it tuned at a tune shop.

BuyImports
12-05-2003, 02:13 PM
what do cam gears do?

XixGenuinexiX
12-05-2003, 02:32 PM
although i don't know, @BuyImports try not to steal other people's thread

BuyImports
12-05-2003, 02:37 PM
look, i'm new at this whole thing, i don't know how to steal a thread, i don't know what the point of stealing a thread is. I'm sorry if i stole a thread, i'm only on here to try to learn about cars

Spectre927
12-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Its ok to "steal" a thread, but dont mmake a habit of it, Im sure everyone in here has done it. Anyways, now instead of responding to the original thread starters question, Im going to write to yours. Cam gears(adjustable... stay away from DCs) allow you to adjust the timing of the camshafts. You can retard the exhaust and advance the intake allowing them to be open for longer periods of time. It all depends on your setup.

whtteg
12-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Adjustable cam gears also let you set valve overlap too ;)

For the oringinal question yes you will need a Vafc or hondata etc to get the most out of it. But they can also just tune fuel pressure and cam timming to get it better than it would be if you were to just drop in the new cams.

BuyImports
12-05-2003, 10:37 PM
well, now i know what stealing a thread is and i apologize, i didn't mean to do it, i won't again. also, thanks for the info on cam gears

cuba3377
12-12-2003, 12:17 AM
the more modifiactions that have vairiables, like a/f controls, fmu, the more adjustability, which means the more power u get from tuning

91LSspecial
12-12-2003, 12:34 AM
i have heard that wiht cams you should really really think about getting some valve springs that strictly match the cams you have, the new cams could really damage your stock valve springs, also an upgraded ECU is definatly neccisary, whether it be a jun chip or a APEX fuel mangement thingy...i really like the fields v-tec controller. i would take it to a shop have them put it in and set up the fuel managment system for you, it is very tech, and good shops really know how to set it up for you wether it be for strickt race or street relability

cuba3377
12-12-2003, 12:38 AM
best valve springs are titanium. they retail about 250. stronger springs= faster valve lift.
faster valve lift = higer rpm you can take your engine

Spectre927
12-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Yeah, if you dont get valve springs and retainers and all that crap, a lot more can me damaged than just your valve train if you raise the redline at all, and maybe even if you dont, some of them have pretty high lift.

whtteg
12-12-2003, 01:52 PM
best valve springs are titanium. they retail about 250. stronger springs= faster valve lift.
faster valve lift = higer rpm you can take your engine

You are a little off here stronger springs give a faster Vlave return or seat. The cam gives the extra lift and speed of the lift. The purpose of the stronger springs is to keep the valve from "floating" due to spring bind. The stock spring can bind in a high rpm/ high lift situation and casue the valve to stay opened and then the piston comes into contact with it and new motor or rebuild.

i have heard that wiht cams you should really really think about getting some valve springs that strictly match the cams you have, the new cams could really damage your stock valve springs, also an upgraded ECU is definatly neccisary, whether it be a jun chip or a APEX fuel mangement thingy...i really like the fields v-tec controller. i would take it to a shop have them put it in and set up the fuel managment system for you, it is very tech, and good shops really know how to set it up for you wether it be for strickt race or street relability

Yes you have to get the right spring for the cam other wise you can cause dammage to the Vlaves, Vlave seats, and the Cams. You can break cams from too large of a seat pressure ansd also you can wear the lobes really fast with too high seat pressure. Also you can cause Vavle mushrooming from the Valve spring seat pressure being too high, it causes the Valve to return to the seated position too fast and creates a mushroom effect on the vavle.

got v-tec?
12-12-2003, 06:05 PM
all cam gears are for differant hp applications i got str camgears for 200 to 250hp just make sure what ever cams you go with they have 5 bolts or more.

Spectre927
12-13-2003, 12:09 AM
all cam gears are for differant hp applications i got str camgears for 200 to 250hp just make sure what ever cams you go with they have 5 bolts or more.

hum. Never heard that one...

Add your comment to this topic!