97 chevy cavalier check engine/ets off lights on

tbishop26
12-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Recently I have had my check engine and my ets off lights come on simultaneously (mostly during rainy days). The manual mentions that this sometimes happens and that it is as a result of the electrical system getting wet (or something like that). It then goes on to mention that the lights should go out after a couple hours of driving and drying out. This has been the case until the most recent time. It did rain about 6 days ago, but my lights have yet to go out. Normally it only took a couple of hours for it to dry out. Now it has been 6 days!!! I am afraid that the problem may be something else now and I am at a loss. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem? I just got off the phone with the chevy dealer and I have an appt with them in 2 days. Diagnostic test alone costs $92.50. I would like to hear if others have had this same problem and what was done about it. Appreciate anything that you can do!!!

89IROC&RS
12-01-2003, 10:05 PM
scanner, its the best, easy way to find out whats wrong. in the long run, its well worth the 90 bucks to have the scanner talk to the car and tell you exactly whats wrong. rather than do alot of slamming your head into the wall, and maybe even misdiagnosing the problem, and waisting money. trust me on this, im a chevy tech, and its the first thing i will always do to a computer controled car that comes in the shop, is plug in the tech 2 and find out if there are any DTC's and progress from there. just my honest opinion, would be cough up the money to find out what is wrong, even if you deside to fix it yourself. save you alot of time and money, and best of all, aggrivation. :)

walta
12-01-2003, 11:59 PM
go to auto zone or napa or any store like that they will run diagnostics test for free.

artemisiajcm
12-13-2003, 08:08 PM
I was just curious as to what you found out about your car. I have a 1997 cavalier that is doing the same thing.

walta
12-14-2003, 03:16 PM
We found that there was water in the gas tank_ misfire so we added water remover and it stopped.

Add your comment to this topic!