Camaro 3800 Series II Supercharged???

R_WALDO_86
12-01-2003, 02:02 PM
I recently purchased a 3800 series II in a 96 Camaro that i would like to bolt on a supercharger to. I have found several rebuilt superchargers from 3800 buicks and GTPs. Will they work? Will the mod effect my gas mileage? I am currently running a 5 sp manual mounted to 3.73 gears. The car was ready for an engine swap but the insurance would have been to much for me to handle, considering i'm only 17. If this is all possible, i know plenty of mechanics that will help me get it done. Please help!!

89IROC&RS
12-01-2003, 08:59 PM
i know a buddy who did the same thing in his olds olero. from what i saw, it was pretty simple, but cant say from experience, i didnt do any of it. could be a major kick in the balls. but it ooks like he just swapped over the supercharger, and the wiring harness from the engine it came with. i think there are some sensors on the supercharged engine that arent on the regular one, but im not sure. i can ask him at work tomorrow and get back to ya on that.

BlkCamaroSS
12-01-2003, 10:34 PM
The superchargers from GTP's won't work on Camaros or Firebirds. I've got several buddies that have researched this, and they found out it can't be done. He's swapping in an LS1 into his 98 instead.

R_WALDO_86
12-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I do have a couple of questions though, you say that your friends researched it and you know it cant be done, but do you exactly know why? I purchased this car for less than wholesale price and have plenty of cash on hand for about anything, but like i said, the insurance for me on a V8 in this car is ridiculous. Are there any other types of superchargers or turbos that will bolt on no problem? My only other problem is that i bought this car to drive to school and work, while my Jeep Grand Cherokee gets a V8 drop and a little more lift to fit the 32-11.50 BFG's. It will be in the shop for a good while, so i'd like to only have projects that would take a weekend or so to finish. Thanks again for the help.

Genopsyde
12-02-2003, 12:43 AM
don't tell the ins co that you put a V8 in it

BlkCamaroSS
12-02-2003, 01:14 PM
I think it has to do with the GTP's being FWD, the the Camaro's being RWD, and the orientations of the two engines within the vehicles.

As for my buddy, all the insurance company is ever gonna get is the V6 VIN#...:)

89IROC&RS
12-02-2003, 11:11 PM
well if your looking for some other power adder, check with vortec superchargers, magnachargers, and the like, go to the major manufacturers, do a simple web search and im sure youll find something to suit your needs. also, look at maybe a turbo, certanly wont go in over a weekend, but they tend to be better power adders when its all said and done. im a recent convert, used to praise superchargers all the way, but after seeing many unbiased back to back trials between turbos and superchargers, its hard to deny that the turbo is the new top dog power adder.

89IROC&RS
12-18-2003, 04:33 PM
hey, talked to the guy at work, and he said you gotta swap the whole engine, they got a diff cam, and lower compression on the supercharged engine, run the supercarger on the regular engine, and you got alot of detonation, or reaaaaaly high cost jet fuel :)

R_WALDO_86
12-18-2003, 09:59 PM
alright thanks for the help. looks like that idea got blown to pieces! lol maybe it's just time for an LS1 or LT1 drop. will either of those bolt on to my 5 sp. or will i need to get a stock 6sp. from a Z28 or SS. what about engine mounts? shoot maybe i'll just go straight for a 400 small block like the guy before me was going to do.

89IROC&RS
12-19-2003, 11:03 AM
my reccomendation, for ease of installation, go with the 400. that way it will look stock, and will be a sleeper :) as for the LS1 or LT1 swap, not to up to date on all that. but if im right, and if im not someone call me out on this, the LT1 should bolt right up to the 5speed, but the LS1 will need an adaptor plate. dont know where to get one. engine mounts for the LT1 should be the same i think, could be wrong, but i know the LS1 mounts are different. probly try YEAR ONE parts for the mounts and even the adaptor plates maybe. or hit up ThirdGenResource.com and see if they have the parts to help ya out.

89IROC&RS
12-19-2003, 11:04 AM
wait wiat, im a dumbass, for some reason i though you had a third gen. my bad. :(

krebs128
12-20-2003, 01:00 AM
yea, the engine you have in there now won't be able to support the increase h/p delievered by forced induction. the internals wouldn't support it and the engine would die. so either drop an engine designed to support forced induction in there or rebuild the engine w/ upgraded internals. but if it were me, i'd drop the v-8 in there over a s/c v-6.

98GPGT
12-20-2003, 02:09 AM
You have an L36 the supercharged one is an L67. Different heads, fuel injectors, and fuel pump. I forget what else. You'd have to just swap a supercharged motor in there. If you're gonna do an engine swap u might as well put a 350 in it. Those L67 costs to much to mod for what u get out of it considering you could easily put a 350 in.

Add your comment to this topic!