Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cig lighter shorted with coin - chime module dead?

swalt
11-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Coin fell in the lighter today and this is going to cost me more than the dime that fell in. The vehicle is a 93 Grand Am Gt

The interior lights/door chime won't shut off unless I pull the chime/alarm fuse. From the posts I've read, I assume my chime module is toast (I know where the module is, but getting it out, I have no idea. It is to the left of the steering column mounted inside the non removable dash panel. I ca't see how it is mounted or get my hand in to feel for a clip.

The ABS light came on at th same time. Is there a separate module under the dash for ABS on this car or can anyone point me in the direction of what it may be. The main computer seems ok and the car runs ok.

Third, the stereo quit, it hums, but no display or power.

I have double checked all the fuses. The coin was in there for a brief second. I was putting the center console back in and it was in the ashtray. Quick zap, puff of smoke and on go the lights and chimes. If anyone has any experience here, it would be appreciated.

intimida
12-01-2003, 05:09 PM
recheck the fuses you will find a blown one that dime shorted the circuit to ground this should fix some of your problems most likley the radio.

swalt
12-01-2003, 05:15 PM
It was the chime module. There was a glass fuse/resistor burnt up. Dealer wanted $120 Canadian. Picked one up at the wrecker for $5. I can't believe that one small burnt resistor caused the abs, radio, alarm system and interior lights to all go out. Everything is back and I'm happy.

rhapsap
11-22-2005, 09:44 PM
It was the chime module. There was a glass fuse/resistor burnt up. Dealer wanted $120 Canadian. Picked one up at the wrecker for $5. I can't believe that one small burnt resistor caused the abs, radio, alarm system and interior lights to all go out. Everything is back and I'm happy.

How to fix Pontiac Grand Am chime module
By Mike L.

Keywords: chime, interior lights stay on, no power to radio, power door locks do not work, Pontiac, grand am, 2003, constant chime, blew fuse, coin in cigarette lighter, lights stay on

The Grand Am, especially the 2003 model is prone to blowing a fuse in the chime module. The symptoms of this include: a steady chime when the doors are closed, interior lights which don’t turn off, power door locks not engaging when shifting into drive, no interior lights when turning off the ignition and no power to the radio.

This may be caused by a short in the stereo system or by the famous accident of dropping a dime into the cigarette lighter socket.

Solution:
This is an easy fix. Remove the dash cover below the steering wheel. You will need a Torx socket to do this. Once the dash cover is off, look to the left of the steering column and you will find an orange coloured box. It is somewhat obscured by black metal casing and a steel bracket but you can see the end of it poking out. Reach around to the back side (facing the drivers side door) of the module and pull out the wiring harness.

The module itself slips out by using a screwdriver to remove the metal clip holding it into place. Be careful as there are contacts on the side of the module facing the driver much like a video game cartridge has contacts on the end of it.

Pry open the casing and you will find 3-4 glass fuses. They should be 2.5 volts and 7 amps. There will need to be soldered out so use caution. Replace the blown fuse, pop the module back in and you’ve saved yourself the $150 for a new module.

Add your comment to this topic!