Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine swap

PistonSlap
11-29-2003, 09:46 AM
I have a 94 with real real real bad piston slap. The car has over 200K but I'm not sure about this engine, I bought it used. Here are the paticulars about this car VIN has a 4 in the 6th digit, Engine code is B18B1 #1353263 and it is an automatic 4spd code SP7A-2004390. I'm looking to do an engine swap:

1. Will all B18B1 engines fit?
2. Any mounting problems between auto trannys and manual?

*new*
3. Don't want to go Vtec.

Thanks

Dumped91Hatch
11-29-2003, 09:49 AM
All B series motors will fit with minor wiring if you go Vtec. Not sure about the auto to manual though.

PistonSlap
11-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I should have said this in my orginal posting I'm not going Vtec.

what kind of wiring mods?

Dumped91Hatch
11-29-2003, 08:34 PM
You don't have to wire anything if your not going Vtec. Its a direct swap just go for it.

PistonSlap
11-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Sorry about that, as soon as I posted my reply I re-read your message and understood that you meant the change is needed to go Vtec.

My current tranny is an automatic. All I want to do is an engine swap to keep the car running (least possible cost) that is why I asked about tranny mounts. Are there engine mounting differences (bolt patterns) for manual trannys and auto trannys?
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

DC87teg
12-01-2003, 09:45 PM
all b-series motors will fit with some minor vtec subharness stuff.......as for the tranny,the hydraulic clutch parts and the master and slave cylinder need to be installed as well as your pedal assemblies on the interior.....

whtteg
12-01-2003, 09:56 PM
all b-series motors will fit with some minor vtec subharness stuff.......as for the tranny,the hydraulic clutch parts and the master and slave cylinder need to be installed as well as your pedal assemblies on the interior.....

You should read the posts before you post a reply, you in no way answered the question at hand.

Moving on to the topic at hand no the bolt paterns are not different, they will all be the same on the motor, the only different mounts are the ones that attach to the tranny, which won't matter in your case. You will be fine just get a B18B1 and it will be a simple swap, the only thing you might run into is if you get a motor from a 96+ that is OBDII if you do then all you need to do is swap the intake manifold for your old one and that is it, or you can leave the manifold that comes with the car on there and just not plug in the extra sensor that is on to of the intake manifold. Good luck let us know if you need more help. :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!