flooding in fc

enimox7
11-28-2003, 07:29 PM
A recurring problem I'm having is that after driving my fc and giving her more gas than is some times necessary, once i turn her off and let her sit for a while, i have trouble starting up again. It probably has something to do with the 40 degree weather i'm in now, but i also heard fcs are easy to flood. I have an EFI though. Has anyone else ever had this problem. One of the guys at circuit city that helped install my deck heard my car when i had starting problems and suggested that it could be the fuel pump. Any ideas or suggestions? :confused:

Entreri33
11-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Ok this is actually a common issue in the FC. We all realize that unlike a pist-on engine a flooded FC will not eventually unflood itself. You need to do the pulling fuses trick occasionally to get it running again. This problem is often compounded by making frequent short trips where the engine DOES NOT come up to full operating temp. Cooler 160 deg thremostats aggrivate this problem. When I had my 87 sport (non turbo) I always let it sit and idle a couple minutes after making any trip (acting like I had a turbo timer working on it. It solved 99% of my flooding issues.

Steel
11-30-2003, 12:19 PM
Yeah. You dont even have to pull the EFI fuse if you've got an S4. All you have to do is put the pedal to the floor when you start it, that automatically cuts off fuel, so you can crank it for a few seconds first, then start it, without having to lose your tach for the trip. Which I hate. Everyone including me loves my centerpiece tach ;). But Entreri is right, dont shut the engine down cold.

Steel
11-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Or was it an S5? Either way give it a try.

J-Rat
11-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Yeah. You dont even have to pull the EFI fuse if you've got an S4. All you have to do is put the pedal to the floor when you start it, that automatically cuts off fuel, so you can crank it for a few seconds first, then start it

Thats for the S5, not the S4.

Also, flooding isnt normal. There is something wrong in the injection system. Most likely bad injectors. What happens is, they leak down, after the car is shut down. All this fuel goes into the intake area, and floods the car.

Read this:

http://www.mazdatrix.com/c-bleed.htm

tomminajar
05-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Leaky Injectors is it - Common prob after 80,000 mi or so....

Soyo
05-08-2004, 12:14 AM
umm... 6 months old? and was there a point?

flex339
05-08-2004, 04:27 AM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ :thinkerg: nope

Add your comment to this topic!