Deck installation

enimox7
11-27-2003, 02:43 PM
For those that may have installed aftermarket sounds in their fc...

I have a 87 GXL and am considering installing an aftermarket deck, specifically kenwood or alpine. I currently just have the stock system in it with a built in equalizer. Anyway, I talked to some guys at best buy(who normally do free installation for $99+ decks) and they said that it would be an additional $100 or so because they would need to build a custom box and the rewiring is a major pain in the arse.

Also, they told me that most, if not all rx7s come with 2-3 amps. Is this true? Does anyone know any way around this? I'd really like to put in a deck but don't want to fork over an extra benjamin just because of some lazy bastards. Would it be hard to do myself? Thanks in advance

Soyo
11-27-2003, 04:55 PM
no amps that I know of, go to circuit city, much better service and they install everything you buy there for free, and no installation should ever cost 100, 50 would be tops, but circuit city is free so go there and don't worry about it

J-Rat
11-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Correct, the RX-7 has amps at each speaker. Soyo, if yours doesnt have them, consider yourself lucky. Let me get a pic of my installation that I did myself.

All it took was the wiring adapter from Circut City, the wiring was PAINFULLY simple. I even retained my stock amps (for now). And there is an adapter kit I used (it required some modification).

I will post up a pic in a sec...

Jarrett

J-Rat
11-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Bad pic, but you get the idea.

http://www.spacerat.net/BBQ_pics/jarretsdash.JPG

enimox7
11-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Just got the deck installed today at circuit city. Great service and the guy did a superb job with the installation. Same kit as j-rats but with a kenwood deck. NOTHING beats thanksgiving sales :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!