Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wrangler Possibly Stuck in 4WD?

dbarwi1
11-26-2003, 08:58 AM
I just purchased a 99 Wrangler and believe it may be stuck in 4WD. When I try to shift between 4H down to 2H it does not react any differently at all. When I try driving it it sways so much I almost lost control. And don't mention how poorly it made a turn, like it was skidding and grabbing around the turn.

You'll have to excuse me because I am very auto illiterate. Does this sound like a possibility. Also, when I try to make a hard right or a hard left, the tires make this horrible clunking, grinding noise. Would this be related to being in 4WD or is this something completely unrelated?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I am taking it in this weekend regardless, but would like to be able to drive it safetly to the mechanic.

Thanks!
Daniel

don.j.pearson
12-31-2003, 05:38 PM
Are you sure it's stuck in 4WD? When you switch back to 2WD, does the indicator light on the instrument panel go out?

ffruff22
02-03-2004, 06:04 PM
As he mentioned in the prior thread, make sure your shifter is in 2 wheel and the inicator light is off. If so and you are still having problems put it on jackstands and put it in gear if all four turn its in four wheel if not you have something else going on. As far as the clunking, the jeep may have lockers in the axles instead of a posi/limited slip

Add your comment to this topic!