Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 LeSabre limited radio electrical problems

Cyn
11-25-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm trying to diagnose and repair an electrical problem with the factory installed radio. While listening to the radio or a tape, the sound builds up, getting louder and louder until it suddenly drops back down to practically nothing. The volume control doesn't do anything to modulate the sound.

I'm guessing this is due to some sort of electrical charge building up until finally it shorts out? Is this something I can repair myself? Keep in mind I'm a total novice at car related things, but an eager learner if I can do it myself and smart enough to do so if something is explained to me in detail.

Also, would replacing the radio entirely fix this problem? I'd hate to replace it just to find out that a new radio wasn't necessary.

Thanks!

buickmastermind
10-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Not able to repair it yourself. I might be able to, but it is cheaper to get one from a salvage yard. And easier. If you get a different one, get the one with a five-band eaqualizer. No Bass Distortions. Very powerful. Get it out of Cadillac of the same year. All you have to do is switch the brackets :)

Add your comment to this topic!