Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Prius = BAD MPG??!!

matthew162426
11-24-2003, 09:16 PM
We're having trouble maintaining fuel economy in our brand new 2004 Prius. Upon delivery at 9 miles on the odo to 120 miles, we were delighted to get 53 miles per gallon.(half freeway-half city) Then on day two from Tennessee to Missouri, it got 43 mpg. (mostly freeway) Then from Missouri to its' current traveling location in Kansas it has got 36 mpg. (mostly freeway) The car was purchased in Tennessee and is going home to Idaho. This is "uphill" traveling, but 2000 feet of elevation in 1200 miles should not affect the fuel economy this much. The rated fuel economy, which you readers probably know, is 50 hiway - 60 city. We are not even getting close any more. We are using 89 mid-grade gasoline and traveling according to the dealer's break-in recommendations. We did experience one problem at 120 miles. The check engine light came on, but the dealer dismissed it as no problem stating that glue vapor buring in the catalytic convertor was the cause. The light did go off by itself. This car is not worth the $25000 if it can't get the rated fuel economy. The car is going into the Toyota dealer when it gets home in 2 days. We will see what it gets going through Colorado and Wyoming. (Lots of hills) Please respond all 2004 Prius owners and Toyota people!

blcskate
12-05-2003, 11:23 PM
For one use regular gas, it is cheaper, recommended, and you will get better MPG with it. Other than that make sure nothing is wrong. My fiance has an 03 prius and she always get 48 to 51, and the new one is supposed to be better. Something may be wrong with it. Good Luck.

dandiener
12-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Cold temperatures affect MPG. I'm avaraging about 50 MPG. I'm actualling doing better than the monitor suggests.

GeeMan
12-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Just got my 2004 Prius two weeks ago. First tank of gas in the city was around 42 mpg which is exactly what the monitor said we were averaging. It was a combination of freeway and city driving. I think it takes some getting used to driving differently with the electric engine. I've noticed that I don't jack rabbit near as much in the Prius as I do in my other cars. My wife just took on a freeway journey. We will have to see how it does over the long haul. I'm still pretty happy even if it stays at 42. It towers over the gas milage of the full size van we were driving before we got it.

trailer_parks
12-22-2003, 04:57 AM
Not to be a troll, but I'd be irritated if a Prius I got didn't get the mileage it's supposed to... I currently drive a VW Jetta TDI, and I get 53-57 mpg all the time, city, highway, doesn't matter. I know it pollutes more NOx, but in time, they'll develop catalysts that will get rid of all that. Just curious, not trying to be an A$$, what's the 0-60 of the Prius? Thanks, and I hope your mileage improves.

j

blcskate
12-22-2003, 06:37 AM
My fiance gets about 50-53 all the time with the old prius 2003 and the 0 to 60 is about 11.5. She can't race my 03 eclipse spider or 04 corvette, but she is buying a Caddy XLR. So that will be a comp. Simple fact, there is not a hybrid that can touch a vette. So why ask a stupid q. like what is the 60. Who Cares? I would laugh if you tried racing someoe in it.

Jetta TDI Mileage
City (mpg) 33 - 38
Highway (mpg) 44 - 46

Jetta
Horsepower 100 @ 4000 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 177 @ 1800 RPM

04 Prius Mileage
City (mpg) 60
Highway (mpg) 50

Prius
Power output 67 hp @ 1,200-1,540 rpm (50 kW @ 1,200-1,540 rpm)
Torque 295 lb.-ft. @ 0-1,200 rpm (400 N-m @ 0-1,200 rpm)
and
Power output 76 hp @ 5,000 rpm (57 kW @ 5,000 rpm)
Torque 82 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm (111 N-m @ 4,200 rpm)

The 04 prius gets better mileage and has better horsepower and a lot better torque. Your (*^$ Jetta couldn't touch it, and it is impossible to get a 53 to 55 all the time mileage on a TDI. I laugh at your poor attempt to think you know anything about cars.

HAHAHA
Go home, or come here and we will see in person what car is better.

MotorcityTDI
12-23-2003, 01:59 PM
The 04 prius gets better mileage and has better horsepower and a lot better torque. Your (*^$ Jetta couldn't touch it, and it is impossible to get a 53 to 55 all the time mileage on a TDI. I laugh at your poor attempt to think you know anything about cars.

Really? Go get some real facts, check out www.tdiclub.com

HAHAHA
Go home, or come here and we will see in person what car is better.

If you want to do this after browsing the tdiclub website.... Certainly :)

blcskate
12-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Really? Go get some real facts, check out www.tdiclub.com

If you want to do this after browsing the tdiclub website.... Certainly :)

I think it is a very amusing site. A forums where a bunch of people who know little about cars talk about a cheapo car. I would gladly whoop your tdi with my vette anyday. A Stock 04 prius would whip you as well. The crappy torque in the TDI would dog you off the line, period. If you throw mods on it maybe you could win against a prius, but you would still suck. so who cares. Your car is rated for a mid-40s mileage average. If you are getting mid-50s you either moded to beat $#@$ or you are full of $#*@. Get a job and buy a real car. VW's suck. You have a new age rabbit. HAHAHA.

blcskate
12-23-2003, 07:20 PM
From your TDI Forums. I got these averages.

"My average is 44.5 over 37,000 miles with readings as low as 40.something"

"This slow driving returned combined economy of 50+mpg"
I can drive a prius 70 and get that no problem.

"I've got 5,200 miles on mine, and I'm still averaging about 39 mpg"

"Life time mileage for this 5-spd '03 Jetta is over 46mpg."

"I'd say Jake's lifetime average SPEED is somewhere around 50mph, maybe a tad higher...or not, but I do have the data to show 46+mpg"

"I get about 38-42mpg on my 5sp Jetta (A3 model) in Seattle traffic running B80-B100. I get about 47-50mpg on longer highway only trips."

Overall I am not impressed. Whether I drive 60 or 80 I always seem to get around 50 to 53mpg. Also driving city I get around 60mpg. This is with the old prius and the new one is supposed to do better. I have no mods on it at all. NONE. The prius has higher stock horse and torque. Please go back to tdiforums and stay in your dream world. I don't want you to feel bad about your purchase.

MotorcityTDI
12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
I think it is a very amusing site. A forums where a bunch of people who know little about cars talk about a cheapo car.

Really? Tell that to the hundreds if not thousands of people over the years that have found answers on the site. People who been to their dealer several times, spending thousands of $$$ but find no solution. Hence the creation of TDI club. You didn't read the FAQ or any of the articles then. But even if you did, being the experienced mechanic, electrical and mechanical engineer as yourself :shakehead you are qualified to make such a well informed statement.

You need to I would gladly whoop your tdi with my vette anyday.

Just plain stupid. No one said the TDI was faster than the vette... next comment

A Stock 04 prius would whip you as well. The crappy torque in the TDI would dog you off the line, period. If you throw mods on it maybe you could win against a prius, but you would still suck.

Again with the ignorant rantings. Drag racing high MPG economy cars. :shakehead You at least have the option to tune the TDI. Try putting 18" rims, bilsteins, and a stiffer swaybar on a Prius. With the TDI, you can at least have a car with great handling, over 200HP and 300ft-lbs torque, and still get 40+ MPGs.

so who cares. Your car is rated for a mid-40s mileage average. If you are getting mid-50s you either moded to beat $#@$ or you are full of $#*@.

Stock TDIs have better MPGs than the modded TDIs. Mid 50s is very common stock. No one ever said that TDIs beat the Prius in fuel econ. Just pointing out that if you want a car that's more substantial in terms of saftey features, handling, and cargo capacity yet still gets 30% higher MPG than a comparable gasoline car, the TDI is the answer.

Get a job and buy a real car. VW's suck. You have a new age rabbit. HAHAHA.

More rantings that shows your ignorance. I applaud anyone who drives a hybrid as their main commuter (which I may point out is not you). At least they care about saving fuel and consequently the environment.

MotorcityTDI
12-24-2003, 02:26 PM
From your TDI Forums. I got these averages.

"My average is 44.5 over 37,000 miles with readings as low as 40.something"

etc...

Overall I am not impressed. Whether I drive 60 or 80 I always seem to get around 50 to 53mpg. Also driving city I get around 60mpg. This is with the old prius and the new one is supposed to do better. I have no mods on it at all. NONE. The prius has higher stock horse and torque.

What's your point? TDI mileage varies much like the Prius, hence the origination of this thread.

You sound so lofty with your remarks, but let's talk about your car, the '03 Spyder. I'm sure you get great fuel economy with your finace's Prius. I applaud your fiance, she made a good choice in cars.

Please go back to tdiforums and stay in your dream world. I don't want you to feel bad about your purchase.

I don't feel bad about my purchase. I just didn't want some ranting, diesel-ignorant person spouting off about a topic which he knows very little about.

You will see many more diesel's in the near future from many different manufacturers. I don't want people to think your remarks are accurate or even credible when it comes to VWs or diesels.

blcskate
12-24-2003, 02:56 PM
HAHA. My master plan always works. I play the prick and it upsets everyone involved. It is always a good laugh from the common be nice and listen.

I personally like my chicks prius. The Nav. System is a nice add on too. I could give a crap about the enviro. I will be long dead before I have to worry about it. Besides the virus called humans will kill themselves well before killing the earth. I like to use the prius to save one thing. $$$$$$$. Yeah:). The TDI is not a bad car, neither is the prius. I had a lot of issues with every VW I have come in contact with, but they are good for some. I need something with style.

I can't imagine using a hybrid or TDI for a race. It just seems silly. Maybe in a few years when better things come out, but not now.

Plain and simple. TDI, prius, god forbid the rice civic, and any other good MPG car is not a race car. It gives a bad name to racers everywhere to think of them as one. A 302 Boss(love this car, Dad has one), Viper, Corvette, and exotics are made to race. They deserve the title of sports car.

Personal fav. right now is the Caddy XLR. Best sports luxury I have seen in a while. I just got the vette so I think the fiance needs the XLR. We will see in the spring. Right now the snow and ice keep my babies in the heated garage. The RAM is out getting dirty. Good luck with the TDI.

matthew162426
01-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Nice to see you all had so much fun talking about the Prius, TDI, Caddys and Vettes! Anyway the car is getting around 43 mpg total average. Like one of you said, it is probably the cold temperature in Idaho that causes it to get lower mpg. The climate control is set to 74, and since the average outside temperature is 20, the gas engine is running quite a bit to produce the heat. Or so said the Toyota dealership. Can't wait to see what it gets in the summertime - expecting 50-60 mpg!

P.S. I have a VW Jetta, non TDI - Love this car but it has annoying little problems appearing quite a bit. Toyota dealer here is also a VW dealer, and according to him and all his mechanics, new VW's are having some reliability issues (They convinced us originally to get a Prius,not a TDI!!!!!!!) But I still love VDubs.

lillucas
01-14-2004, 12:02 AM
if you want better gas mileage in a new prius try pushing the tire pressure to 44/42 and also use synthetic oil in your engine to push out an extra mpg. but keep in mind, its winter, so tire pressure may lower b/c of physics and also i think there is a different cold weather formula for gasoline so it doesnt do quite as well

Fritz313
04-22-2004, 09:57 PM
I got a 2004 Prius at the beginning of March. At 1500 miles now I am averaging 45mpg in the city and close to 50 on the highway. It has more than adequate acceleration although I drive it fairly conservatively.

Lessgas
07-15-2005, 06:55 AM
I think one of things thats is often overlooked is that the way a hybrid operates makes it best in heavy stop and go traffic. On long highway commutes you're operating primarily, if not solely off the gas engine. So you don't get the savings of having the electric motor.

CaptainApollo
07-15-2005, 02:54 PM
I've owned my prius for around 6 months now and I've found that it isn't the case. Stop and go driving will really drop your mpg. I've found that the best situation is one where you are not stopping, and you are driving around 40mph... on flat ground.

Add your comment to this topic!