Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Constructive Criticism

Jay!
11-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Strictly speaking, I didn't really write this, but I adapted enough of it to make it apply to us...

Constructive Criticism must be both “criticism” and “constructive.” It is criticism when it focuses on standards; it is constructive when it articulates those standards so that the shortcomings in a particular subject can be dealt with.

Criticism minimally expresses to a builder, “There are standards which are relevant here that your model does not meet." To be constructive, the critic must go beyond simple formulations like, "This is poorly built," or "That looks like butt."

It is more useful and appropriate for this forum to avoid using such simple dismissive statements entirely. You could say, "The problems with this model are that...," and go on to explain. This does the work that a critique should do: specify what it is that makes the subject fall below acceptable standards!

The best practice as a constructive critic is to adopt the attitude of a team-member trying to improve the workmanship of a colleague. Don't hold back from expressing concern if you think there is a problem; but don't try to intimidate or "one-up" the person whose model you're criticizing by simply delivering judgment, but withholding the reasons for it.

This is what I expect to see more of in this forum in the future. I think a lesson in "how to be constructive" is what our community needs. We're all here to help each other enjoy and learn more about our hobby.

Feedback, please? :sunglasse

tbeck
11-24-2003, 09:01 PM
well may i say you have an excellent use in vocabulary. Bt may I also say that i do not like the "butt" part. it makes it sound... childish.
Anyways i have to say that I like it it makes people have to post something that is worth posting.

:smokin:

Diesel2NR
11-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Hell yeah, Jay. Lay it down. Seriously though, anyone who comes into this forum and says, "your model looks like butt" really shouldn't be here. Not because it sounds immature, but any TRUE model builder could realize the work and time that goes into theses things, even if it doesn't look as good as their own do. Just my 2 cents.

tonioseven
11-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Hell yeah, Jay. Lay it down. Seriously though, anyone who comes into this forum and says, "your model looks like butt" really shouldn't be here. Not because it sounds immature, but any TRUE model builder could realize the work and time that goes into theses things, even if it doesn't look as good as their own do. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with Jay and John 100%. :sunglasse:sunglasse:sunglasse

snk33y
11-24-2003, 11:44 PM
I agree 100% well said!

hrmodeler
11-25-2003, 01:48 AM
Very well said Jay!

Honoturtle
11-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Good thinking Jay! I'm sure everyone will put more thought into their typing.

RallyRaider
11-25-2003, 03:20 AM
Well said (or adapted) Jay.
Although it is a bit of a shame it needs to be mentioned.

flyonthewall
11-25-2003, 04:20 AM
You would have thought people would have realised this by now wouldn't you?

willimo
11-25-2003, 11:29 AM
I hate to say that there is no problem around here with rude criticism, but (and this isn't to steal your thunder, and I do totally agree with you, Jay) I must say I am impressed with how much constructive criticism goes on here. The posts that say "Your model looks like butt" are usually from someone who posts that one time and disappears. Sometimes there is some poor criticism, indeed, but on the most part it is constructive and I know I personally have learned a lot from reading suggestions about other people's models.

The only criticism I have issues with really is when people say "I would have painted it green, those wheels are too small, you should lower it...." Those are style suggestions and there are so many different people around here that to insist that one's own personal sense of automotive style is exclusively correct is a poor assumption. Unless someone asks for feedback about the color, wheels, ride height or whatever, I think criticism should be limited to the technical aspects, like "Your paint seems to have a slight orange peel. To fix that..." But then, that just goes back to the old build-for-yourself thread...

Anyway, your post is well put, Jay, and its good to have one of those little reminders come about every so often. I would say make it a sticky, but no one seems to read those... ah well, anyway, thanks for that!

CADguy
11-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Very well written advice.
I agree with Jay's post and have some of the same sentiments as Willimo also.

It irritates me to hear "you should've painted the wheels this color" or the "those colors don't match". It irritates me even more when its coming from someone with 1500+ posts, and less than 5 models in the completed section. Each builder has his/her own unique style, and should be respected.

I have more respect for a person that leads by example. If you think a particular car will look better lowered with gunmetal wheels, PLEASE build it and show us!

Otherwise, respect the builders style and take a note mentally of what you didn't like. I have seen many things I've liked here, and lots that I didn't.

I'm glad to see some of the things I've not liked, so I don't waste time doing it to my models, and then having to spend time changing to something I do like.

The technical critiques are spot on usually. We all can overlook the details sometimes. I appreciate being told something is the wrong color or missing. Or added when it shouldn't be. But I would never pull a set of wheels off a completed model and respray them because someone else didn't like em.

:2cents:

dag65
11-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Excellent advise. We should all stop before we post and reverse the roles. How would you respond if someone made the same comments about you r model, the old shoe on the other foot addage.
Its hard at times, in the past I have taught elementary school art and managed a large group of people, constructive critisism does take some thought. Take the time to think.
Thanks Jay

Add your comment to this topic!