Standard Running Temperature

harv28
11-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Having a few problems with my 156. Car seems to run very hot even at low revs and at a constant speed. Usually runs in excess of 90 degs, is this the norm as the temperature increases quickly without too much provocation. Has anybody else had problems and if so what was the solution.

Many thanks

Harv

franzzz
11-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Having a few problems with my 156. Car seems to run very hot even at low revs and at a constant speed. Usually runs in excess of 90 degs, is this the norm as the temperature increases quickly without too much provocation. Has anybody else had problems and if so what was the solution.

Many thanks

Harv

The Weather level of your radiator is ok ?

I think the weather pump dont work.....

harv28
11-27-2003, 01:43 PM
The Weather level of your radiator is ok ?

I think the weather pump dont work.....

Thanks for your help,

Radiator level ok, coolant ok, been to garage today and apparently thermostat bust which is affecting water pump

best regards

Harv

franzzz
11-28-2003, 01:32 AM
Thanks for your help,

Radiator level ok, coolant ok, been to garage today and apparently thermostat bust which is affecting water pump

best regards

Harv

Verify the Thermostat sensor .

If you run with the climasystem turned on (the compressor) the water themperature is ok ?

harv28
11-28-2003, 02:25 PM
As I understand it, there is a thermostat which controls a valve which regulates the flow of coolant around the system. When the temperature increases the valve opens further to permit a greater flow of coolant around the system, and likewise when it is cooler it reduces the flow. I'm not sure but I don't believe the compressor for the aircon has a direct impact on the coolant system for the engine.

Best regards

Harv

franzzz
12-01-2003, 10:12 AM
As I understand it, there is a thermostat which controls a valve which regulates the flow of coolant around the system. When the temperature increases the valve opens further to permit a greater flow of coolant around the system, and likewise when it is cooler it reduces the flow. I'm not sure but I don't believe the compressor for the aircon has a direct impact on the coolant system for the engine.

Best regards

Harv

Ok try to change the thermostat sensor.

a156
01-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Harv128,

Your car is displaying the same symptoms as mine and I had to change the water pump.

The water pump has a nylon impeller that cracks and spins on the shaft. The situation starts with a slight 'running hotter than normal' condition and progresses to overheating at low revs.

Sorry to convey the bad news because the repair is very difficult.

Needless to say I checked out all of the obvious things such as radiator cap and thermostat. I was even tempted to install an aftermarket cooling circuit boost pump.

Since the water pump was replaced my car has been running at ~75C and climbs to ~90C in traffic, this being quite good in the midst of an Australian summer.

best regards,

Ian Anderson..

harv28
02-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Harv128,

Your car is displaying the same symptoms as mine and I had to change the water pump.

The water pump has a nylon impeller that cracks and spins on the shaft. The situation starts with a slight 'running hotter than normal' condition and progresses to overheating at low revs.

Sorry to convey the bad news because the repair is very difficult.

Needless to say I checked out all of the obvious things such as radiator cap and thermostat. I was even tempted to install an aftermarket cooling circuit boost pump.

Since the water pump was replaced my car has been running at ~75C and climbs to ~90C in traffic, this being quite good in the midst of an Australian summer.

best regards,

Ian Anderson..

Thanks for that Ian,

You were absolutely spot on, I saw the cracked impeller as the pump was replacd just before crimbo by the dealer under warranty.

Good news was it didn't cost me a penny, bad news was as you said it was a difficult job and by the time the problem was identified, parts brought in and pump replaced, it was off the road for nearly 3 weeks.

Best regards,

Harv

Add your comment to this topic!