TIGHT Flywheel

DevoutWankelist
11-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Okay, recently the clutch on my 91 n/a standard rx7 went out and so far I've had no problems regarding installation of the clutch itself, however, I want to resurface my flywheel while I have the transmission and clutch off. I can't get the 57mm nut holding it onto the eccentric shaft off, I've tried many tactics to absolutely no avial, it hasnnt moved at all. This is how tight it is, with the 57mm socket and socket wrench attached at a 45 degree angle to the ground, I put a hydraulic jack with the butt of the wrench nested in its mount under the car and proceeded to lift the jack, to my suprise the nut did not turn but . . . the car lifted off of the jackstands, again, this is how tightly connected it is. I asked my neighbor, who is a mechanic professionally what he thought, and he said there might be a bonding agent liike loctite in the thread of the nut making it so stubborn and that it would become more maleable around 300 degrees farenheit, so I took a 500 degree torch to it and tried to turn it again, and still found no success, does anyone have any suggestions or experience regarding this? I would appreciate any input except suggesting I take it to a shop, becuase I am too poor to pay for anyhting other than parts unfortunately. Thanks

MazdaB1300
11-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Personally I just used my 1/2" impact, and i came off. Also, although this doesnt' help you to get it off, remember you'll want to replace that rear main seal, although you should anyways, but especially now that you've torched that rear area, it probably smoked that seal. If you don't have access to an impact, sorry, i don't know what to say. The repeated hammering that an impact offers is the best way to break a lot of stuff loose, even if you can get the same amount of force on something that the impact would provide.

DevoutWankelist
11-24-2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the reply, I just tried an impact but it didnt work, I think that it was mostly because my air compressor is a pos though. What kind of air compressor did you use?

Add your comment to this topic!