Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

black spark plugs

MsPebbles
11-23-2003, 07:25 PM
I have a 91 buick park ave non-supercharged. It just out of the blue just started bucking and hesitation while driving and it broke down and did not start any more towed home removed spark plugs and they where dry sooty plugs and I keep getting a code 41 all the time and my check engine light is always on because of this what is the problem here. need more info let me know thanx

bustedratchet
11-24-2003, 08:13 PM
I think code 41 is cam sensor.

RABarrett
11-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Check your compression. These engines are prone to breaking the chains above 100,000 miles. This problem will set a code 41 since the cam sennsor will not toggle, but the crank sensor will. Ray

MsPebbles
11-26-2003, 02:49 AM
would the car still run after the chain is broken? Shed some light on the timing chain. have black soot coming out of my tail pipe.

bustedratchet
11-26-2003, 06:37 AM
Does the car run,but crappy? just puffs out soot ? If I were guessing I'd try an oxygen sensor.

RABarrett
11-26-2003, 08:56 AM
The engine would run until the cam became too retarded to allow it. If the chain became loose enough to jump one tooth, it would run with severely reduced power. The compression would be low and the timing would be severely retarded, both leading to very little power. It is likely that the engine would die frequently, and when the chain jumped again, it would not likely restart. It is likely that the black soot is due to late ignition timing and reduced compression, allowing only partial combustion. These engines were prone to breaking chains at mileages approaching 100,000 miles. In park or neutral, the engine would sound and feel sluggish. If a cam sensor code is set, it is likley that the cam timing is not correct for the crank timing, and will soon stop following the cam entirely due to the nylon teeth being worn off of the cam sprocket. IF this is the case, do not use a steel replacement cam sprocket... it will adversely affect the computer's ability to read the cam sensor. The chains frequently stretch to the point where the cam timing changes. Again, befroe jumping to conclusions, check the compression. If below about 100 lbs, the chain is very likely the culprit. Ray

MsPebbles
12-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Before I changed the knock sensor, I replaced the coil pack, and the car ran very good and drove it a block or 2 and it started to buck and hesitating and the rpm was ver low and then it cut off when I got in the drive way. I replaced the knock senor and lift the coil pack on there and it was hesitaing very little and i drove it a block and it started to back fire and it cut off again and I removed the coil pack and opened it and it smelled like burned electrionics. I have carbon deposits on my spark plugs. rich mixture or weak ingnition

Add your comment to this topic!