Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 buick lesabre won't start

poisonivy
11-23-2003, 03:29 PM
For about the last two weeks, my husband has been having problems starting the lesabre, and finally on tuesday last week, it just wouldnt start. We suspected the battery, had it tested, was told that it was good. We have replaced the alternator attempted to start the car, wouldn't start. Took the battery to have it charged, it wouldn't charge, so we replaced it. again attempted to start the car, wouldn't start. We were recommended to start the car by jumping it , letting the engine run and tried that. no luck there either. the engine sounds like it wants to start, but it won't. We are in a financial postion that we can't take it to a mechanic, and my husband is not mechanically inclined. I am not afraid to work on the engine, but i seem to be at a loss. if anyone can offer any ideas as to where i need to be looking, it would be helpful.

RABarrett
11-24-2003, 03:15 PM
I am confused regarding whether the engine will not start or will not crank. Did the engine start when jumped? Having these answers will help me help you. Ray

poisonivy
11-24-2003, 07:50 PM
will crank, not start

Racincc85
11-26-2003, 10:57 AM
does the engine sound like it wants to turn over (ie sputtering) or does it just crank and nothing else? If it does not sound like it wants to start, the fuel pump could be bad.

edg
11-27-2003, 06:13 PM
FYI: The battery is only needed to crank the engine for starting. If the engine cranks but won't start, the battery is likely good. The alternator is used to recharge the battery. If the battery gets recharged while the engine is running, the alternator is likely good. It sounds like you did not need to replace either.

Basically, two things are required to start an engine that cranks. Fuel, fed to the engine from the gas tank by the fuel pump, and spark, generated by the ignition coils and fed to the spark plugs through spark plug wires. The spark is used to ignite the fuel and run the engine.

So, you need to check those two things.

Assuming you have gas in the tank and it's not contaminated (i.e. mixed with water or other substance), check to see if fuel is being sent to the engine. With the key on but engine off, you should be able to hear the fuel pump whirring at the back of the car. Under the hood, you can check if fuel is getting to the engine by a) you may be able to smell it, since the car isn't starting or b) poking the needle valve in the fuel rail.

You can check for spark by pulling one of the plug wires loose from the engine and while holding the wire with insulated pliers, have the engine cranked and see if you can get a spark to jump to ground (either a metal part of the engine or the plug from which you pulled the wire).

If you have fuel and spark getting to the engine properly, the problem could be with one of the engine sensors, such as crankshaft or camshaft, or with the engine computer.

ChevyCelebrity
05-26-2004, 03:22 AM
Okay,
My friend has a 1988 Buick LeSabre with 210,000 miles on it. But the motor was strong, ran smooth no problems. One day, he was driving to school and in the parking lot the car just died. After it stopped he turned the key and the engine cranked, it would just not turn over. All the interior lights, power windows, everything still worked it just would not take that last step and turn over.
There were no trouble codes, just the "I'm working just fine" code. So the first thing we tried replacing was a computer we found at a bone-yard. We hooked it up, but there was no luck so the old computer is hooked up again. The next thing we did was spark plug wires, and no luck. Then, we bought a brand new ignition module. The 8th digit in the VIN is C, so we had fun finding one. But Napa had a brand new one for $90 and we put it in, still no luck. So we thought maybe it was the coil pack. We got a used one from the bone yard and still no luck.
So since we were pretty much back to square one, we checked the motor for a spark and fuel. Neither are present, so what does that mean? Does anyone have any suggestions? I know a big thing is the Crankshaft and/or Camshaft sensors. One thing with that is, wouldn't it throw out a trouble code? We checked the fuses, they are all fine...we are stuck. At this point help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

rustbucket
06-03-2004, 08:48 AM
No , the crank sensor doesnt throw a trouble code, I had a stalling problem when my 87 was new, and they replaced the crank sensor.

ChevyCelebrity
06-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Well we found the problem. It was the crankshaft sensor after all, installed it and it ran like a champ. Hopefully this will help anyone else out there, it can get rather expensive replacing the electronic components in this car. They are probably $75 a piece on average. That sensor seems to be a common problem, and it is fairly inexpensive so it would be a great first place to check. Thanks everyone,

Jon

Add your comment to this topic!