Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Has anyone had a problem like this with a 1982 280ZX?

Gig
11-21-2003, 10:55 AM
My little Z sputters really bad and won't go over 3000 rpms. If I try to drive her to the mechanic she stops even being able to go after a few miles (although the engine continues to run). When I press down on the gas after that, she just sputters up to 3000 rpms and then drops back down to idle. At that point, all I can do is wait until the next day before she'll stay at 3000 rpms again.

This all began after I took her to a mechanic in a new town to get a new alternator and power steering hose put on. My Z ran fine when I drove it down there and it was doing this when I picked it up. Could the mechanic have adjusted something wrong that I can adjust back? I'm afraid to go back to that mechanic and I can't drive her that far anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can have her towed back to the mechanic, but I'm afraid something else will get broken if I go back there!

Thank you SO much for your time!!

monty280zx
11-22-2003, 11:22 PM
See if your injectors are pumping out fuel. My 280zx has 2 bad injectors right now and its doing the same thing.

quickcarman
11-23-2003, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=Gig]My little Z sputters really bad and won't go over 3000 rpms. If I try to drive her to the mechanic she stops even being able to go after a few miles (although the engine continues to run). When I press down on the gas after that, she just sputters up to 3000 rpms and then drops back down to idle. At that point, all I can do is wait until the next day before she'll stay at 3000 rpms again.

This all began after I took her to a mechanic in a new town to get a new alternator and power steering hose put on. My Z ran fine when I drove it down there and it was doing this when I picked it up. Could the mechanic have adjusted something wrong that I can adjust back? I'm afraid to go back to that mechanic and I can't drive her that far anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can have her towed back to the mechanic, but I'm afraid something else will get broken if I go back there!

Thank you SO much for your time!![/QUOTE

Well, this is what I would do, call the mechanic and tell him what's going on, and just ask him do you want to make a house call to fix the problem or do you want to tow it in to your shop to have it fixed. Sometimes you do have to demand what you want, just stand up to them. Also, let him know that he will be paying for all costs to fix the problem.

chrisc0623
11-26-2003, 10:45 PM
I have an 83 280zx and had the same problen last weekend, mine turned out to be the oil pressure switch. When the oil pressure drops off the car shuts down. It shuts down the fuel pump. I put the new pressure switch in and have had no problems.
Hope this helps,
Chris

Z Babe
12-06-2003, 10:22 PM
My little Z sputters really bad and won't go over 3000 rpms.
A late response, but if you still haven't found the problem, have your mechanic check the TPS (throttle position sensor) and AFM (air flow meter).

Gig
01-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Wow... Thank you for the replies! I had given up on this thread... I just thought that there weren't enough ZX people left to help me! I'm so happy!!

@Z Babe: Is that your Car! That's absolutely beautiful!! What a pretty girl she is!

Nissan-Fan
01-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Are their wire retainers on the plug wires? messy wires can actually interfere with injection.

El Taco
06-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Yeah, that can cause what's called "reverse detonation" For the love of god, please, never tie plug wires together with zip ties. This can put holes in pistons. $9 for wire looms, or however much for a rebuild? Oh yeah, slap that "mechanic" when he's done.

twisted99
06-06-2004, 08:57 PM
If it is any help at this point, I had similar problem with a 75 280Z, it was the fuel pump. Found that out after we threw replaced just about every thing else.

Add your comment to this topic!