Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any one else been hacked lately?

Nobbys Nuts
11-21-2003, 04:41 AM
Sorry for being off topic guys but has anyone else here had there computer hacked lately?
I have just gotten mine up and running again after losing everything. I run XP ,Norton 2002, Zone Alarm etc and until Tuesday I had no problems.
I tried to look at some pics on here on Tuesday night and could only get red Xs so I turned off my firewall and promptly got hacked by what Zone alarm said was an Unknown user. I promptly pulled the phone line out of the wall but I had already lost Norton, the ability to backstep the computer and the ability to do a passive reboot.
I am not a happy camper at the moment.
I was speaking to Foggy01 and he said he lost his about 3 weeks ago when he dropped his firewall on here to see some redX pics.

asaenz
11-21-2003, 06:16 AM
Wow, that sucks. Sorry, to here that.

Do you do backups?

If not start doing backups of your valuable data.

4 things everyone must do

OS/App patch updates
Backups
Anti Virus
FW

I would also subscribe to Cert Advisory mailing list
http://www.cert.org/contact_cert/certmaillist.html

alfred

Vric
11-21-2003, 08:23 AM
no, you dont get hacked when you are a hacker :cwm27:

Kidding, I'm a Network administrator certified by Microsoft, so being hacked whould be a real shame for me.. never been hacked for about 6 years

sweetwhiteCAV
11-21-2003, 08:35 AM
thats what happens when you hang around shady websites like AF :wink:

Nobbys Nuts
11-21-2003, 03:01 PM
asaenz; Fortunately yes I had backed up and only lost some stuff from a couple of days prior which was ok. It is just annoying that these w....rs have nothing better to do with their time than p..s people off.
Vric; First hack in 5 years for me. Teach me for dropping my firewall won't it!
I hope all of you will heed my warning about dropping your firewall to get around those bloody red Xs.
There had been a thread earlier about the Red x problem and I had posted in reply to a couple of people who said to drop your firewall that it was a dangerous practice as this could happen.
Frustration got the better of me and I broke my own rule and paid the price.
Serves me right doesn't it.

BLU CIVIC
11-21-2003, 03:09 PM
i have...about 2 yrs ago.....i had norton system works and win 2000 professional....one day stuff acted like it didn't want to work....don't know what happened...took it to a friends house who workss on computers....and he told me that i had gotten a virus that destroyed my hard drive, pentium 4 chip and eventually killed my hard drive.....i have no cluse as to what happeded.....the computer was a gateway that was about 14 months old and the warrenty expired after 12 months....i was up set seeing that we paid $1200 for the computer and all my information was lost in the blink of an eye....sux, really

ImportBuilder
11-22-2003, 06:36 PM
about 1 week ago, i got hit with like 50-75 pop ups that just started downloadin crap. turns out i got MAD MAD SPYWARE from those darn DL's. i found sum good sites to help u out.
Sygate.com (http://soho.sygate.com/ref/spfref_sos.php)
SPYwareinfo.com (FORUMS.SPYWAREINFO.COM)

Diesel2NR
11-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Hearing of hacking associated with dropping your firewall while veiwing AF almost makes me ready to stop coming to AF at all. That's rediculous. Maybe this should be moved to AF in General or something to get Igor's attention so that maybe he'll be able to do something about it. :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!