Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant leak

Slacky
11-20-2003, 11:54 PM
I have a coolant problem. My car overheats, and when I shut the engine off, tons of coolant leaks from either the radiator, or the lower hose.? What would cause this, water pump? what?

Please help, no one would answer in CRX forum, bastards.....

Brian
90 Honda CRX swapped b16

KC Ron Carter
11-21-2003, 12:43 AM
Usually if the issue is after the car is shut off it is the pressure cap.

It is normal for the coolant to get hotter after the shut down.

But the pressure cap is supposed to keep the coolant in the system.
There should be an overflow tank that is also there to catch any overflow.

I hope this helps.

Later,

Slacky
11-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Well my car overheats, while it is running, not after the car is shut off. The coolant starts leaking after the car shuts off

mechy1barry
11-21-2003, 01:56 PM
does the fan cut in on time?-other, start car with coolant cap removed,does the coolant overflow then?-other,water pump impeller detatched/head gasket/blocked radiator.

Slacky
11-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Fan works, with cap removed it starts to overflow, then after shut off is dumps it from under the rad. Would this be caused by a stuck thermostat?

mechy1barry
11-23-2003, 03:53 AM
does the fan cut in on time?-other, start car with coolant cap removed,does the coolant overflow then?-other,water pump impeller detatched/head gasket/blocked radiator.
it would seem that the water being dumped is coming from the over flow pipe,most likely you have a head gasket problem,have it pressure tested,off,and running.

bm2boats
11-29-2003, 03:46 PM
I agree with Barry. I think it is your head gasket. get the system pressure tested. Also check your oil the next time you change it. Do you see any hints of coolant/ water?

Deniz
11-29-2003, 06:13 PM
when my mazda 323 overheated last month, the diagnose and pressure test indicated that my water pump was shot, head was warped and gasket was gone.. It was an expensive 10h labour( $1000cad) fix. So i dumped the car.
make sure its not leaking from the water pump.

cvcc_wagon
12-06-2003, 02:48 PM
i had the same proble, it was the head gaskit, replace that and check the water pump as well. the crx forum is pretty much dead, im not sure why i keep checking it. if u have any other honda related questions go to the "Lets Get Technical" section in Honda/Acura. lots of honda guys there who will know your car

John Chang
01-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Car 1991 Civic SI
I have coolant blowing out through the resorvoir.
Car doesn't overheat - but I have to put coolanty in the car daily. Some oil in the resorvoir and no coolant in the oil pan.
Garage has pulled the head and says head gasket OK and head OK. They seem to think that the problem is with the block and suggest that I change engines.
Any suggestions as to what the problem can be (other than a problem with the block) or what other things (tests) I should have them do before I am satisfied that it is indeed the block.

Add your comment to this topic!