v8 swaps for 240sx

torqitup2003
11-20-2003, 03:11 PM
can anyone help me out with information on putting a chevy v8 in my 240sx im looking for any motor mount kits or something from someone to give me a good idea about it and where to start

Suislide
11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
blech...

don't look to me for info about that. :grinno:

mynismo
11-20-2003, 04:22 PM
i have a v8z for sale on ebay, save the 10 grand it costs to swap it and and get a nice car with a new paint job

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2444028372

:)

publicenemy137
11-20-2003, 04:35 PM
^ y did you sell your 300zx so soon anyways??? Seemed like you sold it right after you put a grand on your maaco paintjob

TheLogikal1
11-20-2003, 04:54 PM
want a chevy v8? buy a vette.

SR20DETpower
11-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Vettes blow garbage

they like 3800lbs+
Impala SS is only 600lbs more lol, for luxury and space it is a lot better.
Vette is a damn small car for 3800lbs and it doesn't even have a full frame like an Impala has, which was the last "car" from GM with a full frame. The Monte Carlo SS of the 80's was the last 2 door car to have a full frame from GM.

Albeit heavier, they are stronger and more smooth, I think a souped up Monte Carlo SS would be a good drift car with its full frame.

LaYzIeNoY
11-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Hey i've been trying to do the same thing to my 240 and i have seen it done before here in jacksonville florida only once, but i have not been able to really learn much about having it done. If you get anything info on the subject let me know. the only thing that i have found so far are the motors and fully assembled engine but nothing on installation.

SR20DETpower
11-20-2003, 08:17 PM
its going to be a pure custom setup. You might have to hack up firewall, most likely the tranny tunnel as well. You will need custom engine mounts made, you will need a custom cross member with transmission mount on it, you will need a custom driveshaft. Wiring would be a nightmare, a carb'd v8 would be easier. You would not have AC or power steering unless u have some awesome fabriaction skills and a lot of tools at disposal. Getting this all done at a shop would be horridly expensive. It would be kinda cool I think just form the novelty of it. I would also put on a S13 silvia front end with a stock aero bumper for looks and lighter weight then aftermarket, fiberglass fenders, FRP/CRP hood, and move the battery to the back. The regular silvia conversion takes off about 50lbs, mainly from the pop up headlights. With lighter weight hood and fenders it will shave off some more. Moving the battery to the back will help weight distribution more yet. This would all be important if your looking for cornering performance. A CSB made of iron is hella heavier then the KA/SR/CA/RB even.....LS1 of aluminum is god damn expensive for what you get.

VQuick
11-20-2003, 10:19 PM
For a V8-240SX swap, try looking up Lime Creek Motorsports. They swapped an LT1 into a zenki S14 in my area. It was a lot of work, I hear, but it was worth it...to the owner, anyway.

I think their site is www.limecreekmotorsports.com

mynismo
11-21-2003, 09:46 AM
im selling the z just because i have two cars now, and need the money. money's tough to come by in cleveland these days.

the chevy v8 swap is really cheap, but the labor will make you want to wish you're dead. take a look at the engine bay of that z...... i can't fit my finger between the headers and body. i don't know how they fit it in there without cutting up the body.

it's a LOT more work than you think. don't even attempt to do the swap.

spitz7985
11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
its going to be a pure custom setup. You might have to hack up firewall, most likely the tranny tunnel as well. You will need custom engine mounts made, you will need a custom cross member with transmission mount on it, you will need a custom driveshaft. Wiring would be a nightmare, a carb'd v8 would be easier. You would not have AC or power steering unless u have some awesome fabriaction skills and a lot of tools at disposal. Getting this all done at a shop would be horridly expensive. It would be kinda cool I think just form the novelty of it. I would also put on a S13 silvia front end with a stock aero bumper for looks and lighter weight then aftermarket, fiberglass fenders, FRP/CRP hood, and move the battery to the back. The regular silvia conversion takes off about 50lbs, mainly from the pop up headlights. With lighter weight hood and fenders it will shave off some more. Moving the battery to the back will help weight distribution more yet. This would all be important if your looking for cornering performance. A CSB made of iron is hella heavier then the KA/SR/CA/RB even.....LS1 of aluminum is god damn expensive for what you get.

i don't know if weight or weight distribution is an issue at all to this guy if he wants a v8 under his hood :smile:

spitz7985
11-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Vettes blow garbage

they like 3800lbs+
Impala SS is only 600lbs more lol, for luxury and space it is a lot better.
Vette is a damn small car for 3800lbs and it doesn't even have a full frame like an Impala has, which was the last "car" from GM with a full frame. The Monte Carlo SS of the 80's was the last 2 door car to have a full frame from GM.

Albeit heavier, they are stronger and more smooth, I think a souped up Monte Carlo SS would be a good drift car with its full frame.

No. Think first, talk second.

the corvette z06 weighs slighly over 3100lbs. the hatch weights like 100lbs more. it is amazingly fast (doesn't chevy claim like 3.9 to 60) and pulls something like .99Gs. plus it looks so good, i want to have sex with it.

the impala weights like 3600lbs, is a four door, and the s/c model only makes 240hp (pathetic for a forced induction v6). how can you even compare the two? they are built for totally different things in mind. not to mention, there are about a million other cars i would buy over this pile.

what year monte carlo are you talking about? because the more recent ones are FWD, and i can't see any monte having smooth transitions to and from oversteer.

Suislide
11-21-2003, 03:57 PM
a) he's talking about the older Impala's, based on the Caprice, such as the one in his signature. they had V8's. he's not talking about the current FWD POS.

b) he's talking about the older RWD Monte's.

SR20DETpower
11-22-2003, 09:45 AM
1) Impala weighs 4400lbs lmao
2) Regular vettes are heavy, they are not light at all, especially the older ones. To say that it is lighter then a camaro is funny..... I think the 4th gen F bodies weigh 3300lbs.
3) Impala much better ride then Corvette
4) Impala much better ride then Corvette
5) Look at Monte Carlo SS's from the 1980's
6) I think the older vettes blow donkeys, especially the early C4 generation with the TPI engine.
7) I've driven cars that handle better then vettes lol
8) Vette is cramped garbage.
9) If you read this far spitz your a moron
10) LT1 owns that LS1 chunk of aluminum garbage

:icon16:

RIP z06, its good stock for the numbers it puts down on paper, but give me 50k for a car and believe it or not the Impala is going to give it a run for the money, even in handling. Just as much stuff made for Impalas as corvettes, plus it has a longer wheelbase which helps out a lot compared to the 2 door Chevy v8 cars, and it has a wider stance.

torqitup2003
11-22-2003, 01:31 PM
thanks for everyones input

V45H TH3 5T4MP3D3
11-23-2003, 11:48 AM
dont bother /w a V8 unless your going planing to steal it out of a S7 salen.
if u really want power of that sort i sugest being the 1st person to RB30DETT a S14 and teach those heavy pos where they stand compared to jap dirrect power.

RyanGiorgio
11-23-2003, 03:51 PM
MyNismo, your Z scares me! It sounds so badass.

mynismo
11-23-2003, 05:09 PM
MyNismo, your Z scares me! It sounds so badass.
why thanks, i appreciate it. i've only been driving it on sunday for the last three weeks.

there was a chevy muscle car in front of me today... he was rumbling, i pulled a lil behind him and revved. haha mine sounded so much more mean.

then i went next to him in the other lane and just took off.... he was like wtf a nissan. :p

BadMojoSS
11-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, it's interesting this topic came up. I've been planning on doing a 240SX with a Ford small block for some time now. I'm planning on going carbureted, initially ~300-350rwhp, something to get used to the feel of the car with decent HP, then I'll probably go up to 450 or so. I've got nothing against Chevy stuff (my other car is a 96 Impala SS) I just decided to go with a 302 because Ford small blocks are lighter and smaller and since I'm going with a 5 speed 5.0 T5s are cheaper than dirt, for a transmission anyway. It should be pretty striaght forward, I've already got the block, heads, intake and carburetor, the main details I haven't fully looked into yet are the engine and transmission mounts, an oil pan (which I understand has to be fabricated for this particular application) and the power steering. The mounts should be a breeze, I just have to have everything in place and I really don't think the power steering will be that big of a problem, but even if it is, well... I'm a big ol' boy and a little heavy steering is a good excuse not to let anybody else drive it :grinno: I don't expect to be done with this for another year at least, but when it is, ooooh they better watch out. I can't get any ricers around here to race the Impala anymore.

spitz7985
11-25-2003, 05:45 PM
2) Regular vettes are heavy, they are not light at all, especially the older ones. To say that it is lighter then a camaro is funny..... I think the 4th gen F bodies weigh 3300lbs.
6) I think the older vettes blow donkeys, especially the early C4 generation with the TPI engine.

RIP z06, its good stock for the numbers it puts down on paper, but give me 50k for a car and believe it or not the Impala is going to give it a run for the money, even in handling. Just as much stuff made for Impalas as corvettes, plus it has a longer wheelbase which helps out a lot compared to the 2 door Chevy v8 cars, and it has a wider stance.

impala over a vette? whatever dude... :rolleyes:

tl1000sga
12-20-2003, 12:23 PM

This has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read. How about looking past your own biased bullcrap before you post false info. Everything you have said is either opinion, or simply not true. I am curious though, what have you driven that handles better than a Z06?

tl1000sga
12-20-2003, 12:28 PM

No, you are completely wrong.

Nothing like that is required. Wiring issues and motor mounts are about the hardest part of the swap.

Check out limecreekmotorsports like was previously stated

Is this guy a complete moron?

klohiq
12-20-2003, 12:59 PM
No, you are completely wrong.

Nothing like that is required. Wiring issues and motor mounts are about the hardest part of the swap.

Check out limecreekmotorsports like was previously stated

Is this guy a complete moron?

He's not a moron...

and I agree with him whole-heartedly that a corvette has nothing on an older caprice/impala. They look better and I agree that with all the money you saved you could modify the fuck out of it to drive a lot faster. I dunno about making it have better handling...but I guess it's possible...weight reduction, better tires, etc and then you could probably at least have a lot more compareable handling.

Impalas are a little overpriced for me though...and it's so hard to find a manual version. A few people have done this so far I believe which is take an old 9C1 that's been retired. Use the L99 engine and an Impala manual trans...then it's a badass car. Get some nice 5-spoke alloys, better tires...it's a nice huge ass car. :)

tl1000sga
12-20-2003, 01:12 PM
You can modify anything to do anything with the right amount of money, so it is stupid to even argue that. And as far as all of the stated opinions, they are just that, opinions. I was reffering to the comments made about the vette stats and the work required to put a chevy smallblock into a 240sx.

Love the USDM drift cars man, lol :biggrin:

klohiq
12-20-2003, 08:21 PM
That is true...but I was just saying it's a worthy car...not some little fiesta that has dreams of aspiring to a vettes 133tness...Though they did have an article in SCC about doing an engine swap into one...sounded too stupid so I didn't read much of it. SCC magazine is alright, though this month much of the issue is filled with what new car can do the best burnout...the minicooper got the longest strip by something like 50ft more than any of the other car lmao...still annoying to have that much of the magazine wasted with such a boring topic.

My spidey senses are tingling...you must be jealous of my USDM drift car...I ebraked it last winter...left it on too long...didn't know the ass would come around that fast...I'm used to so much understeer haha. FF DRIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to start a USDM FF drift competition...

stealthj
12-21-2003, 05:30 AM
when i had my corolla i went tray sliding for like 2 mins one time LOL dont laugh

old thread.....therefore...closed

lateZ

LOL jk

SR20DETpower
12-21-2003, 10:28 AM
I've driven many corvettes before, I've driven Impalas a lot. I think my opinion goes a lot further then yours because you just look at magazine specs, I on the other hand actually go out and drive and work on the vehicles. Impalas handle pretty good, a few parts and they handle VERY good. They have a lot better weight balance, the wheelbase is very long, and the car has a real wide stance. Just those factors alone make it more stable and better balanced in corners. I don't like camaros because they turn akward and aren't suited too well for the street in performance handling. Firebirds weigh 3600lbs. Most corvettes weigh about 3800lbs. The only thing i like about the corvettes is their brakes.

Impala has same engine as the newer c4 vettes and 94-97? f bodies. In fact I think the engine is better because they come equipped with iron heads which are a hell of a lot more durable. On the whole, I also think LT1's are better then the newer LS1's. The LT1 is the last design of the old style small block. The block is iron and will take a lot more HP if you are building something really radical. Not one part from a LS1 will fit on a LT1, it is a totally different engine design, maybe in 10 years they will have more figured out on it but I still say the LT1 is where it is at if you want to tune a chevy small block.

I drive Impalas a lot and beat on them hard, I know what I am talking about dude. You can argue with me all day long with your magazine specs..... but I know what I like from actually driving the two vehicles. Specifications aren't everything either, yeah maybe going around and around the Z06 will put down a respectable lat g number, but give it some throttle and cut the steering wheel to the right and see what happens lol. You will be facing the other way before you can say shit.

*edit* making a manual Impala isn't that hard. The T56 from a camaro of like years will bolt right up to the Impala's LT1. You will have to do a little bit of cutting and modifying of center console, but I think it would be pretty cool swap. It doesn't require you to swap engines or anything.

DWF Engineering
12-29-2003, 06:25 AM
I considered this too. The distributor won't clear the fire wall easily. A Ford will fit better, but no small block will go in without re-routing the steering shaft; it won't clear the left bank's cylinder head. There are universal joint steering shafts made for kit cars and street rods the solve this problem. The parts will cost less than the SR/RB/CA etc. swap but it will be a bit of work. Don't listen to the people telling you the V8 will of balance your car, a small block may even be a little lighter than the KA.

SR20DETpower
12-29-2003, 10:30 PM
I agree, it might add a little bit of weight, probably less then 100lbs. on a 240sx it is pretty easy to remove weight off the front end with bolt on used nissan body parts that will remove 50 lbs. also moving the battery to the back will help the balance. I never said Corvette z06. And yes I have driven cars that are better then a z06. how many people here can say they get to thrash cars on a daily basis, things like 650hp muscle cars, twin northstar eldorados, supercharged mercedes renntech's. Mosler cars, modified up the wazoo cars? yeah yeah yeah I might not own a 240 but you want to talk cars I will take you to school. Keep reading your magazines sonny. Especially those biases towards american cars. I do not think the z06 is that great of a car, sure it looks nice on paper........ but as most know that means jack shit. And oh yes an Impala straight out hands down owns the corvette no doubt in my mind.
Drive both for a weekend and somehow I think only a straight up dumbass would disagree with me.

The Impala rides better, is 100x more roomy and easier to get in, ever try to sit in a corvette? The Door sills come up real high on the sides and you sunk down in the compartment, its really f'n shitty I have no idea why its built so badly. The Impala is just as fast, handles better IMHO(depends on driving style) is a lot more fun to drive no matter what. It can bang some tunes, ride 4 people like they are in lazyboys easily at 155+mph, looks a whole lot better, and the girls love em hehe. Its the ultimate tourer/cruiser I think.

J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
12-30-2003, 06:15 AM
The Impala has never beat the Corvette in any area, period. Unless you count price as an area. I own a 92 Corvette, and I must say that it handles much better, goes faster, and feels better than any Impala I have ever been in or driven. With adjustable ride control, which happens to be an installed option in mine, I can set the suspension to burn you in a drag race, smoke you at the track, or feel like a Lexus on a dirt road. All with a flick of a switch. You're right about the ride height. It's a pain in the ass to get in/out, but to me it's worth it.

Handling? "but give it some throttle and cut the steering wheel to the right and see what happens lol." Not much. When the ASR detects loss of traction, it cuts throttle and fuel. No more spin. You can always turn this off, but I still only lose traction when its rainy. With good tires, traction isn't a problem, at least in mine. I know that the Impala does take turns impressivley for what it is, but the suspension seems soft compared to the Vette. All in prefrence I suppose.

About the weight issues...The Corvette, Impala, Camaro, and I think Firebird share the same engine. Of those, the only one that has 100% fiberglass body panels is the Corvette. You're telling me that the Impala(SS) is lighter than the Corvette? Not likley.

However, you do have the LT-1 versus the LS1 right. Hands down, everything you said I agree with. All in all though, I think the Impala is alot better if you have a bunch of friends that you drive with alot. I'm too tired to keep posting.

Add your comment to this topic!