Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gains from cam sprockets?

Ricochet
11-20-2003, 09:53 AM
I went to the shop I buy everything from and traded in my used n2o kit, DX cam sprocket, and crank pulley for a couple aem cam sprockets for my dohc (I couldn't sell my DX crap to anybody else, so I said screw it and gave it to them). Anyways, will I see any gains or will the car just run better? I'm hoping for 5-10hp at the wheels if possible. When I had the sprocket and pulley on my d16 I gained 6whp, but that was probably only from the pulley..? They're going to dynotune it etc. but I just wanna get some numbers beforehand from people who have already installed them on their dohcs..

jcrx
11-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Just switching out the cam gears won't do anything, you have to tune the intake and exhaust (more is going to be seen from the intake than the exhaust), but really, your motor is pretty well tuned fom Honda as it is a "sports car" motor, so without altering air/fuel, and ignition timing, gains won't be very large.

Ricochet
11-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Right, but they could make it so the valves open up at different times to have more air in there right? I've never messed w/sprockets or researched them enough to know exactly what they do..

jcrx
11-20-2003, 10:33 AM
The gears aren't going to make more air enter the cylinders (would need cam with higher lift, and longer duration), but they can adjust the relationship between in. and ex. valve opening and closing, via location of ones cam lobes in relation to the others, to maximize the amount that is in there.

Ricochet
11-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Gotcha. Well when I get them in I'll scan and post the dyno charts for other people's reference to.

S1 Type-R
11-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Lemme know how it does after they are installed....Im planning on getting some for my Type-R...http://www.squadone.net/modules/Forums/images/smiles/Icon_goodjob.gif

Privatebigandrew
11-20-2003, 06:42 PM
I don't know how in depth they go into tuning at the shop that you go to, but if you want the most power from your engine, there is a presice point at which maximum cylinder pressure should take place. If you can get your maximum cylinder pressure at 12 degrees past TDC, then you are in the zone for max power and effieciency. With you new cam gears, you can do some tuning to reach this point. You would also need to adjust your spark timming too. Ask the shop and see if they do anything like this....if they do, it would be well worth it; not only for power, but also the life of your engine.

Ricochet
11-20-2003, 09:49 PM
They know what they're doing. They ran my DX 3-4 times to get 6 more at the wheels, but that was with the pulley also. I don't think my scanner works so hopefully they can email me the dynochart..

Add your comment to this topic!