Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vibration question

Millcreeklord
11-20-2003, 07:33 AM
When I am accelerating at about 3500 rpm I sense a little more vibration than i am used to. Any ideas what this could be?

Oscarz
11-24-2003, 06:54 AM
I'm also having vibration problems. Mine is most noticeable in the steering wheel. Starts about 20mph. Wheels balanced 4 times with GSP9700 and rims are getting scratched. Dealers no help.

Also, when truck is at idle, motor makes a throb/bounce type vibration about every 5 seconds. Anyone know what that is? If I sit still, I can feel it bounce the whole truck a little.

Millcreeklord
11-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Oscar, Mine is actually at 2700-3000 Rpms no matter what gear I am in... I dont think its tires.. Its like it gets rough for that duration then smooths out after 3000 rpms...My instincts tell me it may be plugs or something.. I havent taken it to the dealer yet...

I'm also having vibration problems. Mine is most noticeable in the steering wheel. Starts about 20mph. Wheels balanced 4 times with GSP9700 and rims are getting scratched. Dealers no help.

Also, when truck is at idle, motor makes a throb/bounce type vibration about every 5 seconds. Anyone know what that is? If I sit still, I can feel it bounce the whole truck a little.

TRDCivicCrusher
12-05-2003, 10:02 PM
I unfortunately DO know what the problem is. Early model 4Runners, most like 90-95, had a major recall done on them due to a faulty head gasket. Although the recall is no longer honored, you're head gasket is bad. This causes a good amount of vibration, especially while idle. It is a pricey repair, but left unattended, it will leave you standed!

Millcreeklord
12-08-2003, 08:51 AM
I unfortunately DO know what the problem is. Early model 4Runners, most like 90-95, had a major recall done on them due to a faulty head gasket. Although the recall is no longer honored, you're head gasket is bad. This causes a good amount of vibration, especially while idle. It is a pricey repair, but left unattended, it will leave you standed!

Yeah, But mine is a 1998. And it runs smooth as silk... except for when you are accelerating and the tach reads between 2700-3000 rpms... After 3000 rpms it runs smooth as silk again... I dont think its a head gasket because it would run crappy at idle... Is there any way to check the head gasket??

Oscarz
12-08-2003, 08:59 AM
I have an 03 V6 2WD.

Millcreeklord
12-08-2003, 09:02 AM
I have an 03 V6 2WD.

Oscar, I'd take that thing back to the dealer and flip out in the middle of the showroom until they got it straight... For 35k that thing better not vibrate..

Oscarz
12-08-2003, 01:10 PM
It was closer to 25K but at any rate, flipping out won't get a buyback and I'm not quite there yet. I want different wheels anyway (I have 17s and want aftermarket 16s) better ride/more sidewall. If this cures vibration, I will pursue a buyback of the wheels. If not, I'll return the aftermarket wheels and give Toyota another chance to fix it by focusing elsewhere. If no dice, I'll look into arbitration but it won't be easy because the vibration is not severe. It drives me nuts though.

Unfortunately, it's an uphill battle for the customer in these situations. All one has to do is read the many anecdotes online to see that once arbitration is pursued, trenches get dug and the customer becomes enemy.

TRDCivicCrusher
12-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Good point. Maybe we all should switch to Honda Pilots.......hahaha. Jk. That'll be the day that I die.

VTISC007
03-01-2004, 11:39 AM
If the vehicle has a suspension lift on it, check the drive shaft angle. The U-joints will vibrate if the drive line is angled beyond it's normal range. Shims or spacers in the right places do the trick.

Add your comment to this topic!