Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

whats the difference between Rx-7 II 86-88 and 89-91

Jadon
11-17-2003, 01:08 PM
I have recently begun to become interested in the Second Generation rx-7, in fact i'm thinking about buying one. While looking up the facts about these cars I realized that during the second generation the 88 and 89 version were completely different. The 88 version weighed 200 pounds less then the 89 version. What contributed to such a drastic weight difference, and which car would be more desirable.

I love sports cars and have been a car enthusiast for a while, yet i know that every once in awhile you just want to be able to carry more then one passenger. Does anyone own or have any information bout the 2+2, because it only weighs 20 more lbs.

J-Rat
11-17-2003, 02:55 PM
The Series 4 (86-88) had lower compression motors (which resulted in lower HP numbers). The ECU in the Series 4 wasnt as advanced as the Series 5. The Series 5 used an electrical Oil Metering Pump. The Series 5 N/As had the VDI system, and a higher redline.

The majority of FC enthusiasts like the Series 5, however, I like the simplicity of the Series 4.

Jarrett

*edit*

And any of them can be made a 2+2. However if your backseat passenger is anything other then a circus midget, forget it.

MazdaB1300
11-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Yep, he pretty much took care of it. One thing to realize though, that a lot of people seem to not know is that there is no such thing as an 86 TII in the United States unless it was shipped from overseas.

DavidovSpeedWRC
11-19-2003, 03:46 PM
The Series 5 also have the coveted "Round Tailights".

Add your comment to this topic!