Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LS valve cover question

bzzzt
11-17-2003, 12:34 PM
ok guys heres my question.... first off, i'm a minitrucker i love hondas, but i no longer own one (someday i'll have the 88-91 hatch i want) anyway.... heres my question... will an LS valve cover fit on a GS-R? i rode in a hatch the other day, the owner claimed was gsr powered, but when he popped the hood first thing that went through my head was LS?? because that was the valve cover i saw. but whatever "lets go for a ride"..... and dont get me wrong, it wasnt slow... but i was expecting more. i've been an a 92-95 hatch with a B16 that felt much faster. and i mean... my 4g63 laser shouldnt be as fast as a gsr swapped hatch, but i think i could give him a good run.... so my question is... will an LS valve cover fit? or did this guy get taken for a ride... i think either this gsr (with an ls valve cover?) is running like shit , or he has an LS swap. what do you think guys, those valve covers interchangeable? (i know, i coulda looked at the stamp on the engine but it was so dark outside i couldnt see it)

whtteg
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Did you hear the VTEC cross over? The valve covers are not interchangable. Did you get a look at the intake manifold? Was thye throttle body at the top or was it where you could not see it?

bzzzt
11-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Did you hear the VTEC cross over? The valve covers are not interchangable. Did you get a look at the intake manifold? Was thye throttle body at the top or was it where you could not see it?
i wanna say the TB was at the top of the intake mani... but i could be wrong, like i said it was dark, and my main focus was on the valve cover, plus he only had it open for a few seconds.... i didnt hear vtec kick in like you normally can, the exhaust was pretty damn loud though so it was hard... but yeah i was trying to listen for it, but i didnt notice it....i didnt think to look for the vtec solenoid untill afterwards, and i didnt wanna come across as a dick so i didnt press any further. but you say the valve covers are not interchangeable...... why exactly are they not interchangeable??

91LSspecial
11-17-2003, 06:14 PM
i dont know about why they would be interchangable, but if he didnt hit vtec and he was giving you a ride to brag, or show off, or gloat, then i am saying that it was no c1.

come to think of it if they were inerchaneable i would think that those few select friends of mine that are into sleepers would have probably looked into that. so i say NO there not. but lets see if some knows for a fact

bzzzt
11-17-2003, 06:35 PM
i dont know about why they would be interchangable, but if he didnt hit vtec and he was giving you a ride to brag, or show off, or gloat, then i am saying that it was no c1.

come to think of it if they were inerchaneable i would think that those few select friends of mine that are into sleepers would have probably looked into that. so i say NO there not. but lets see if some knows for a fact
yeah, im thinkin they arent interchangeable, my buddy has a mildy worked over LS back in the day but he said he wanted to put a gsr valve cover on it but it wouldnt fit. but he never actually tried and didnt know the specifics of why it wouldnt fit. which is what i'd like to find out. i always like to arm myself with knowlege before making an argument, haha...... and also dont get me wrong, this kid wasnt bragging, a jerk, a "pretty fly for a white guy" type... i just think (if i am right of course) that he didnt know any better

whtteg
11-17-2003, 08:26 PM
As stated in my previous post they will not interchange! The reason is because the bolt hole are not the same and the vtec valve cover is taller beacause of the rocker arm assembly that the vtec motor has, it needs more clearance than hte non vtec. This is 100% acurate I garantee it :wink:

bzzzt
11-18-2003, 01:31 AM
As stated in my previous post they will not interchange! The reason is because the bolt hole are not the same and the vtec valve cover is taller beacause of the rocker arm assembly that the vtec motor has, it needs more clearance than hte non vtec. This is 100% acurate I garantee it :wink:
exactly the answer i was lookin for! thank you

integra818
11-18-2003, 02:21 AM
The spark plug wire pipe thingies probably wont reach the plug either...dunno, this is just a guess.

bzzzt
11-19-2003, 02:04 AM
well guys i just thought i'd give you guys an update... i told the guy that i really think his car has an LS, and that i find it very hard to beleive it had a GSR, once again, only because i felt he should know, not because i felt he was trying to lie. he just honestly didnt know better, when telling him how it clearly had an LS valve cover, didnt feel fast enough to be a gsr, and i didnt hear the v-tec kick-in. he started to realize i knew what i was talking about "holy crap, how the f*ck did you figure all that sh*t out dude, you only saw my car for like 5 minutes" then what really spelled it out for him was when i had him look at the stamp on the motor.... B18A1.... thats right fellas. early 90's LS motor... he was PISSED. the guy who sld him the car flat out lied, i'd be pissed too. but he was very greatful for me setting him straight to save himself any potential embarrassment in the future.... what a situation, i cant beleive people feel the need to take advantage of other peple like that :(

Add your comment to this topic!