Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Burns will not drive in 2004

-Pille-
11-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Just read from wrc.com and rally-live - Burns has astrocytoma and he won't be driving for Subaru in 2004. That's awful news, hope he get's better soon.

ales
11-17-2003, 09:59 AM
This is bad news for richard fans as he is forced to miss out the 04 season :( Hope he recovers though. This also opens up a seat at SWRT.

Richard Burns will not take part in the 2004 World Rally Championship, after tests have revealed that the Englishman is suffering from an Astrocytoma, a form of brain tumour. Doctors have advised Richard that he would be wise to sit out the season in order to fully recover from the illness that befell him in the run up to Wales Rally GB. Burns fainted at the wheel of his road car and was advised by doctors to miss the event while it was established what was wrong. Richard will undergo a course of radiotherapy treatment which the doctors are confident will prove successful.

"I would really like to thank everyone for their continued support - it means a lot to me," Burns said. "My fans, the Peugeot WRC team and also everyone at Prodrive and Subaru have all been tremendous. The doctors have advised that I am unable to get back in a rally car for the 2004 FIA WRC Championship and I have to accept that. I'm obviously extremely disappointed but I am feeling very positive and I am determined to focus all of my efforts on getting back to full fitness as soon as I can."

David Lapworth, Subaru Team Principal, said, "We are very concerned at this news about Richard. There will always be future rallies and future championships, but for now Richard needs to put his own health first."

"Richard will always be welcome at Subaru and we hope that he may again, when fully recovered, work with us once more. The team has offered to do what it can to help Richard back to health and return as one of the leading drivers in the WRC".

It is not yet clear who might replace Burns in the Subaru line-up as team mate to World Champion Petter Solberg is hotting up. Lapworth has made it clear, however, that appropriate decisions will be made soon.

"We were excited about the prospect of the Burns and Solberg line-up at Subaru next season," he said, "and until recently were optimistic that he would recover in time for the first rally. We have not yet had much time to consider all the alternative driver options for next year, but we hope to make an announcement in the coming weeks."

One of the favourites for the drive is 1995 World Champion and former Subaru driver Colin McRae. The Scot has temporarily called time on his WRC career after losing his Citroen drive due to regulation changes for 2004. One possibility that has already been ruled out is Tommi Makinen postponing his retirement to remain with Subaru. His management team have confirmed that the four-time world champion will retire as planned, despite the news of Burns' illness.

wrc.com wishes Richard a speedy recovery and a return to the winning ways that landed him and co-driver Robert Reid the 2001 World Title.

© Copyright wrc.com

freakray
11-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Very sad news, who would have imagined :(

I can only hope SWRT get a worthy team mate for Petter (translated: NOT McRae).

ales
11-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Very sad news, who would have imagined :(

I can only hope SWRT get a worthy team mate for Petter (translated: NOT McRae).
Who would you like to see at Subaru (they're your favourite team, right?) I just have absolutely no idea. I think Colin is with a really good chance of getting that drive though.

-Pille-
11-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Actually this news about Burns probably explains why he was performing below par in recent rallies. It wasn't a question of losing motivation, but feeling the effects of the tumor.

ragt20
11-17-2003, 04:33 PM
very sad to have heard that...hope he has a good and speedy recovery from this...

z33guy
11-17-2003, 05:52 PM
:frown: get well soon guy
He was my pick for 04 too :frown:

XspudX
11-17-2003, 06:20 PM
I almost started crying when I read this. :frown:

As for filling in his space, it might end up being one of the Hyundai guys. Maybe Ramana Lagemann(SCCA Pro Rally) will get drafted in. That would surelybe a good choice that I would support 100%! :iceslolan

hrmodeler
11-18-2003, 03:14 AM
I'm sorry for him too. :-(

I like to see some of young guys or N drivers in his seat. Maybe Arai, he already drove for Suby.

Guido
11-18-2003, 03:28 AM
I heard it on the ready news yesterday, and although I'm not a Burnsie fan at all, I must say I was pretty shocked when I heard it. Apparently the doctors are convinced he will be able to recover, so that's the good part in this sad news.

For his replacement, maybe Subaru will steal away a young gun from Ford - remember Petter - why not Duval, would be interesting. 2 Belgians in a top team :naughty:

gnasha
11-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Sad news, even if he's not my favorite, it's a shame he will not have a chance to regain the title. Regarding the replacement I got absolutly no clue but as hrmodeler sugegested, maybe Aira... Japanese manufacturer with japanese driver... weird that remind me of something.

ales
11-18-2003, 07:18 AM
I have a feeling it will be a Brit - the team is Japanese only so much. Having said that, it's never been paramount for them to have a British driver on board. Come on Lapworth, tell us!

freakray
11-18-2003, 07:22 AM
I think Zeljko may have a point, maybe it will be Arai or Higgins?

ales
11-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Or someone from the british championship, like Milner or McHale ...

SuBaRuRuLeS
11-23-2003, 11:07 PM
I read that Subaru has on eye on McRae. I will try to find the link

SuBaRuRuLeS
11-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Here it is
Subaru+McRae (http://www.sport.scotsman.com/motorsport.cfm?id=1248452003)

freakray
11-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Here it is
Subaru+McRae (http://www.sport.scotsman.com/motorsport.cfm?id=1248452003)

That shows that McRae has more interest in Subaru than vice-versa in my opinion.
Taking into account that McRae has committed himself to the Dakar, which ends right before the Monte, he has practically excluded himself from this.

McRae + Nissan (http://raid.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/031119095138.shtml)

BTW, it doesn't hurt to EDIT your posts.

Add your comment to this topic!