Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

newbie needs help

fergie9
11-16-2003, 08:39 AM
I was looking for a GSR for a long time and never found one so i finally caved in and got a GS cause I got it for a good price, $10k for a 2000. I dont have a lot of money to put into this car so I want to find ways increase the horsepower and torque for the as little as possible. What performance parts should I consider? Also any information as to why these parts are increasing the torque and horsepower would be nice as I would like to learn a lot more about cars in general.

BullShifter
11-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Start with the basics - Cold-air intake, header, cat-back exhaust. Some interesting information http://www.importreview.com/performance.html

also a repair manual is very helpful www.helminc.com

JakeDrummer
11-16-2003, 06:53 PM
turbo :iceslolan

fergie9
11-16-2003, 09:43 PM
I was looking to spend about $1000, so is it possible to get a good header, cold air intake and cat-back eshaust bought and installed for less than $1000? Also how much horsepower and torque increase could I expect from doing this. I hear that AEM makes good cold air intakes, is this a good choice?

tran_nsx
11-16-2003, 10:52 PM
I was looking to spend about $1000, so is it possible to get a good header, cold air intake and cat-back eshaust bought and installed for less than $1000? Also how much horsepower and torque increase could I expect from doing this. I hear that AEM makes good cold air intakes, is this a good choice?

i/h/e for a $1000 and including installation? thats gonna be hard to find, and even if u do get all that, i don't think the products u'll be getting are quality. an aem cai is about 150 to 200, a header such as d/c or skunk will be around 300 to 400, and a full catback like greddy or 5 zigen will run u around 375-600, and this is without installation. why don't u do it your self so u can learn? it's not that hard, they are only simple-bolt ons.

integra818
11-16-2003, 11:07 PM
10K for a GS??? GSRs go for 6K in L.A. nowadays. For $1,000, I'd go with nitrous and all the little do-dads that you need with it (spark-plugs, ignition, shit like that)

KrNxRaCer00
11-17-2003, 07:31 AM
10K for a GS??? GSRs go for 6K in L.A. nowadays. For $1,000, I'd go with nitrous and all the little do-dads that you need with it (spark-plugs, ignition, shit like that)

2000 gsr for 6k? plz do show me these because thats a pretty low number for a gsr in good condition (especially one jus over 3 years old.)

as for being on a tight budget. purchase either...

a. a 50 shot of nitrous.
b. go on ebay, purchase a generic CAI for $30. goto a local shop, purchase a muffler style that u like (and ask about sound as well), then goto a welding shop an have them weld it to some 2 1/4 in piping that's bent to fit ur car...this'll be under $300. last...i do agree w/ tran about the header. get something high quality (dc/skunk are good examples used by him.)

BullShifter
11-17-2003, 11:56 AM
If you live where they are strict on emmision and aftermarket parts, stay away from the ebay intakes. You will need something CARB approves which always cost more, no matter what part it is.

fergie9
11-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the help so far I think ive got enough to get started. I dont live in a state that checks cars to be street legal, but still I would rather have a car that does meet the emmissions standards. I think im gonna go with an AEM CAI, and ill look at DC sports and skunk headers. Is there any advantage to getting a cat-back exhaust instead of just a new muffler? And im gonna get some of my friends in autobody to help me install all this stuff.

integra818
11-17-2003, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=KrNxRaCer00]2000 gsr for 6k? plz do show me these because thats a pretty low number for a gsr in good condition (especially one jus over 3 years old.)

[QUOTE]

No, a 94-96 GSR for around 6K, sorry for the mixup. I thought he was just looking for any type of GSR and since he was ready to pay $10,000...I wanted to tell him that they go for 6K, but I just noticed he wants a 2000 GSR , sorry

KrNxRaCer00
11-18-2003, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=KrNxRaCer00]2000 gsr for 6k? plz do show me these because thats a pretty low number for a gsr in good condition (especially one jus over 3 years old.)

[QUOTE]

No, a 94-96 GSR for around 6K, sorry for the mixup. I thought he was just looking for any type of GSR and since he was ready to pay $10,000...I wanted to tell him that they go for 6K, but I just noticed he wants a 2000 GSR , sorry

ah...s'all good then. i was jus like :eek: ...i want one.

but anywho...honestly, if ur not going to run the risk of a cop giving u problems, then why pay the extra money? especially when ur on such a tight budget. ur going to see the same gains basically and all u'll be able to do is say "yea...its aem..."

fergie9
11-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Well you do have a good point there, i just kinda thought that the AEM might provide more power than a cheaper on. also i wasnt looking for neccassarily a 2000, but something pretty new, 98 or newer with less than 70k on it.

tran_nsx
11-18-2003, 01:54 PM
a race shop down south wanted me to buy one of thier generic cai for like $75, luckily i didn't. later on i purchased an aem cai for peace of mind because of the carb sticker, several months later i was pulled over. about 8-10 months later cops were cracking down hard on illegal street racing and i was pulled over several numerous times during that period but everything was street legal :icon16: . the cops couldn't touch me, although it was gettting very annoying and redundant after several times of checking for illegal race parts.

integra818
11-18-2003, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=tran_nsx]a race shop down south wanted me to buy one of thier generic cai for like $75, luckily i didn't.QUOTE]

Those generic CAIs go for $10 or $15 on eBay, go take a look. BTW which shop was it????

fergie9
11-20-2003, 06:15 PM
Ive been looking through ebay and I see there a lot of really cheap stuff there. This company particular company on ebay has some really cheap stuff: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=98647727&ssPageName=L3. They have CAI for $30, DC style 4-2-1 headers for $80, hi flow cats for $40, and i saw another company selling N1 cat-back exausts for $250. So basically I could get a completely new intake and exaust for $500. Is all this generic stuff really going to give me near the performance of name brand stuff? It would have to be as good, but if its getting 90% of the gains for less than half the price then thats good enough for me.

tran_nsx
11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=tran_nsx]a race shop down south wanted me to buy one of thier generic cai for like $75, luckily i didn't.QUOTE]

Those generic CAIs go for $10 or $15 on eBay, go take a look. BTW which shop was it????

this was 1 1/2 years ago, can't recall the exact name of the store but it was call "something auto salon" in san marco

Spectre927
11-21-2003, 01:14 AM
Ive been looking through ebay and I see there a lot of really cheap stuff there. This company particular company on ebay has some really cheap stuff: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=98647727&ssPageName=L3. They have CAI for $30, DC style 4-2-1 headers for $80, hi flow cats for $40, and i saw another company selling N1 cat-back exausts for $250. So basically I could get a completely new intake and exaust for $500. Is all this generic stuff really going to give me near the performance of name brand stuff? It would have to be as good, but if its getting 90% of the gains for less than half the price then thats good enough for me.

When you pay for brand names you're paying for way more than just the product. There's the staff, designers, engineers, marketers. Then you're paying for all the advertising, testing, and the promoting and sponsoring, and then obviously the carb approval.

Add your comment to this topic!