Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Service Engine Soon Light

jsaitis
11-15-2003, 04:09 PM
My 2003 Grand Am w/21000 miles has the Service Engine Soon light on as soon as I start the car and stays on. I checked all the bulbs, and the car is running fine. any suggestions?

Flatrater
11-15-2003, 10:15 PM
Take it to the dealer its under warranty!!

Why would you think that the check engine light would be caused by a bulb out??? There is at least 200 different trouble codes without a certain one it is hard to help!

intimida
11-16-2003, 06:27 AM
to save a trip to the dealer check the fuel cap to make sure it's tight at least 3 clicks. and then perform 3 drive cycles and the light will reset itself if that was your problem.loose fuel caps aren't under warranty.also a m.i.l malfunction indicator lamp or ses service engine soon lamp.if it isn't flashing and the vehicle is running fine is illuminated to let you know the pcm powertrain control module has detected a fault in the emissions system.

Flatrater
11-16-2003, 06:05 PM
to save a trip to the dealer check the fuel cap to make sure it's tight at least 3 clicks. and then perform 3 drive cycles and the light will reset itself if that was your problem.loose fuel caps aren't under warranty.also a m.i.l malfunction indicator lamp or ses service engine soon lamp.if it isn't flashing and the vehicle is running fine is illuminated to let you know the pcm powertrain control module has detected a fault in the emissions system.

I agree with your post but what if it isn't caused by the gas cap? What if it is caused by the sender seal leaking vapors during the evap test? Do you want to risk it, do you want to take a chance?

Scorpio7
11-23-2003, 01:44 AM
Here is something for you to do.
If you have a AutoZone in your area you can take it there to be tested with their OBII tester and they do it for free, that's right no cash, no money, no bull_hit.. :biggrin:

butterflypeachnurs
10-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Same thing happened to me the MINUTE I turned over 45000 miles. Took it in, come to find out all the sensors are going out. We have replaced the Main Air Flow sensor and I'm waiting on a callback to see if we can even GET a throttle position sensor for this car. Let's add to that fun fact that at the same time the transmission has started changing hard (automatic)....Betcha I don't get another GM after this one....

lou S.
10-22-2004, 12:55 PM
If the light is still on after checking your gas cap go to Autozone and get the codes read. Write them down exactly and come back here with them.

grandamnewbie
11-05-2004, 05:24 AM
I had the same problem. The machanic told me to reset the light, and to save me money, turn the key to the off position, stomp on the gas 3 times, then turn it on. You might have to do this a couple of times to reset it but it did work for me.

GTP Dad
11-05-2004, 05:41 AM
I agree with Flatrater, who by the way is a master ASE technician. Take the car to the dealer it is under warranty and won't cost you anything to find out what the problem is or to repair. If you try to fix it yourself it will just end up costing you money that you don't need to spend. It could end up costing a lot of money if there are major sensor or engine/transmission problems. That is what warranties are for!

Add your comment to this topic!