Suggestions On The Best RX-7 Year

gwdragon
11-14-2003, 11:56 PM
I'm looking on getting into local racing, Legal, and have been told that the RX-7 is a great starter car. I was wondering if there were any years that they were produced that were better than other years, or are there any years to stay away from. I'm relativley new to working on cars but I want to learn more, and I'm a hands on kinda person. Does anyone have any suggestion on a Particular year to search for?

Steel
11-15-2003, 12:25 AM
I wouldnt say its a great "starter" car, because there is a LOT of maintenence required for one, and most "starters" arent ready or willing to do it. Each generation has its ups and downs. For full out power, you'll want the newest generation (93-95 in u.s.) For a cool looking car (IMO) and had good POTENTIAL (as well as sleeperness) as long as you're willing to put the wrench time in, 'd suggest a second gen Turbo 2, or N/A and swap to TII (85-91). Then there's the bulletproof and classic first gens (79-84) with the carbed 12a. Not a powermonster, but its just cool in itself. Oh yeah im drunk, so if any of this info is wrong, don';t hol d it agaisnt me.

DayDreaM BelieveR
11-15-2003, 01:53 AM
the 2005 model :iceslolan But seriously now, the years 93-95 were very good in this type of car (RX7 FD, Supra MK IV, etc) and that would be my preferred band of years, but if you don't have much money to throw around, a nice '87 FC is still good performance wise and doesnt look half bad...

I'm looking at a nice FC at the moment as well as a car to use while waiting for the 2005 RX7 so I don't have to drive around a crappy holden -_-;; but remember, only get this type of car if you're willing to look after it and service regularly.

dayna240sx
11-15-2003, 06:40 AM
I wouldnt say its a great "starter" car, because there is a LOT of maintenence required for one, and most "starters" arent ready or willing to do it. Each generation has its ups and downs. For full out power, you'll want the newest generation (93-95 in u.s.) For a cool looking car (IMO) and had good POTENTIAL (as well as sleeperness) as long as you're willing to put the wrench time in, 'd suggest a second gen Turbo 2, or N/A and swap to TII (85-91). Then there's the bulletproof and classic first gens (79-84) with the carbed 12a. Not a powermonster, but its just cool in itself. Oh yeah im drunk, so if any of this info is wrong, don';t hol d it agaisnt me.

you got your years wrong

first gen ~ 79-85
Second gen ~ 86-91

gwdragon
11-15-2003, 08:21 AM
I wouldnt say its a great "starter" car, because there is a LOT of maintenence required for one, and most "starters" arent ready or willing to do it.

Oh I'm not afraid of the wrench time. I have my dad helping me as well and together we can easily keep it in running condition. He use to race stock cars a great while ago and know something about cars, but this is a new experence for both of us, the rotery engine and all, and it is a lot more fun learning then having someone else do it. I have left my Acura that way and I'm tired of taking it in for Oil changes and maintence. I want something I can point to and say it my work. Thanks for the information everyone. I doubt I'll get a 2005 model, too much money for a car I might abuse. Rather be something that I can find parts for inexpensive.

J-Rat
11-15-2003, 10:38 AM
The second generation, for the price, is the best IMHO. For the price of a 3rd gen, you can buy a second gen, and make it faster.

Jarrett

gwdragon
11-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Hey J-Rat, Ironically enough, the place where I'll probably be getting the RX-7 is Tucson. Thats where my dad lives and has friend that puts RX-7 engines in SandRails. I'll probably decide on the right one with him and then he'll have more time to find it. I just found that kinda Ironic. :)

J-Rat
11-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Well shoot man, bring it by the house when you get it!

Jarrett

Add your comment to this topic!