Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air pump and new intake, help please!

crash72682
11-14-2003, 10:28 AM
I just put a new intake in my 88 RX-7 and got rid of all that factory stuff. The air pump is now connected to nothing and is sucking air through the hose that was once connected to the air box. What do I need to do with that? Can I cap it? Thanks guys!

J-Rat
11-14-2003, 03:21 PM
If emissions isnt an issue, remove it! Is your 88 an N/A or TII?

Reason I ask, is once you remove your airpump, you need to remove the cats. If your N/A, your going to have to devise a way to actuate your 6-port actuators.

If emissions IS an issue, and you want to retain your cats, put a filter on the hose that the airpump draws from, dont cap it.

Jarrett

MazdaB1300
11-19-2003, 08:11 AM
Depending on how much money you want to spend, this is what i'd do. First off, you don't want to cap it. It's getting air from the air box, and it gets it from there because it doesn't want to ruin the pump by getting in dirty air, like you probably are right now. Without removing the cats you could just go to a parts store and buy a breather for a small block chevy, one of those that looks like a small little k&n, and put that on the end of the hose. One thing that people don't realize also is if they remove the air pump, the thermal reactor should be modified aswell or else that will overheat. (thermal reactor is another name for the exhaust manifold on those cars). What i did for my engine was i removed the air pump, got a header, and went with electronically activated six port actuators, but that's because i've got a N/A

BlackLabel6542
11-22-2003, 02:04 PM
my car is completely stock except for exhaust
ive installed a roadrace header going to 2 presilencers going to 2 mufflers all from www.racingbeat.com i completely removed my air pump and removed the actuators for the 5th and 6th ports and just maualy opened them and tied them off with a little wire
now i dont know how much power i got from the exhaust and how much from the ports but my car has quite a bit more power and i it doesnt "sputter bellow 4k rpm" like the guy told me that it might

DavidovSpeedWRC
11-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Those breather filters are like $5-$10 from any auto parts store.
Most of them are made for ricers, so you can get one with a top that matches your color scheme.

Add your comment to this topic!