Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

audiobahn subs and amp?

likitea
11-13-2003, 06:05 PM
i am looking into buying a bandpass box with 4 chrome tipped ports. this box has 2 12" audiobahn aw1251t subs in them, they each hold 400 rms . and i was looking at getting audiobahns a8000t amp, it puts out 800 rms, at 2 ohms, is this the best system i could get for under $450. and i have a panosonic cq-dp102u deck, that puts out 45x4.please help, i want the best system i can get for under $450.

likitea
11-13-2003, 06:08 PM
anybody got any opinions on this system

chicago_guy
11-13-2003, 08:04 PM
IMO you shouldnt be disappointed with that for that amount of money. I'm not a huge fan of bandpass, but they do get loud, especially audiobahn. Just make sure you do your research to see if there is anything else out there that you might like. I spent 450 bucks on Sony subs and a sony amp...bad idea. In the next 6 months ill be spending about $2k on a new setup.

Haibane
11-13-2003, 09:03 PM
You can get a box and a sub, like what I am getting for 450 alone. ONE BOX ONE SUB

sr20de4evr
11-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Bandpass will get loud but they generally sound like crap. They are loud at one frequency and one frequency only, that is why whenever a store has a bandpass setup to test, they always play a test tone through it and not real music.

likitea
11-14-2003, 12:06 AM
are bandpass boxes any good, i have heard they are

sr20de4evr
11-14-2003, 12:25 AM
If you go around playing test tones all day sure they're good
If you listen to music like the rest of us I guess it really depends on your preferences. I like my bass to have a pretty flat response, a bandpass's response will look like a rollercoaster. Basically some frequencies will be loud as hell, some will sound normal, and some will be almost inaudible. Mix them all together and you have a steaming pile of crap IMO, but they sell so some people like it I guess, or they just get suckered into it.

likitea
11-14-2003, 09:37 AM
go to this site to check out the subs and box and tell me if this box will be how u say it is

http://7925.adahost.com/computer/index.html?loadfile=catalog22_0.html

thanks for the help

sr20de4evr
11-14-2003, 11:11 AM
uh, which box?

they have single/dual sealed, bandpass, ported, everything

likitea
11-14-2003, 05:39 PM
first click on 12" subwoofers, then go to page 2, then scroll down to almos the bottom of the page and click on the 2 AUDIOBAHN AW1251T 12 SUBS BANDPASS BASS BOX, that is the subs and the box

sr20de4evr
11-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Yep that's a bandpass box
It will get loud and it won't sound good

Good if you want to just impress your friends with test tones, bad if you really want to listen to your system

likitea
11-14-2003, 05:53 PM
even if i listen to rap, and like the new outkast cd songs, like speakerboxx
what makes them not soung good, i have heard from other people on this forum that bandpass sound really good when listening to rap

likitea
11-14-2003, 05:56 PM
go to this sight and scroll down to 92 and see what they say about bandpass boxes, r u positive that they wont sound good, how do u know, thanks for ur help

likitea
11-14-2003, 06:33 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/f675.html

sr20de4evr
11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
you're talking about this (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t140057.html) thread? I said the same thing in that thread that I have in this one. I've listened to bandpass boxes, they are loud at a very small range of frequencies and that's it. If you listen to rap only some of the bass notes will come through, you won't get the deep deep bass notes and you won't get the high notes that are in some rap songs. It will also sound crappy on other music as well.

For good sound quality you want a flat response, bandpass is anything BUT flat. It's like if you took an eq for your midrange and just cranked up the 1k range. It would sound like crap, nothing would blend together, etc. Bandpass boxes do the same thing to your bass.

Haibane
11-15-2003, 08:07 AM
I usually agree with sr20de4evr, but I partially disagree with him on this one. My friend has a bandpass box in the back of his civic. It has a slight delay to it, but when listening to rap, it sounds really loud and is perfectly fine for the average car audio enthusiast. He is right, it is not very SQ at all, but not everyone likes SQ. I think if you listen to rap, you have already gone long into the SPL territory(personal opinion), and you should it least look into the bandpass box, and if you don't like the sound, take the subs out of the box and get a new one.

sr20de4evr
11-15-2003, 11:13 AM
That would work, but bandpass boxes are too expensive to just experiment with, atleast normally. Good bandpass boxes cost atleast as much as this entire package is, which makes me hesitant.

I say go to a car audio store and listen to them there. It won't give you a very good idea how it will sound in a car, but you can atleast compare how it sounds to the subs in other enclosures.

Add your comment to this topic!