Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What kind of paint IS automotive paint?

POPSICLE_PETE
11-11-2003, 04:55 PM
In the paint FAQ, automotive paint is given its own category, separate from lacqour and enamel. But it doesnt say what kinda of paint it is. I used the kind that I get from automotive stores, and the old style cans said lacqour on the label, but they redesigned the labels and the new ones don't mention lacqour. Can anybody shed some light on this. Also how does the paint "attack" the plastic??? I used regular grey primer on my models in thin coats and it seems to work ok. But it there some chemical reaction that I cant see or what?

thnx , popsicle pete

gasman03
11-11-2003, 05:02 PM
its paint from company's like Duplicolor, Plasticote, its laquer, but, you HAVE to use a primer, or it'll eat through the plastic, i've used Duplicolor paints on a couple models with very good results

dag65
11-11-2003, 05:13 PM
I amy be wrong but I believe they are acrylic laquers. In any cse they will etch the plastic if you don't use primer, your regular auto primer will be fine

CamaroSSBoy346
11-11-2003, 05:46 PM
yes, they are accrylic laqers, but i have painted un-primered parts with laquer paint and nothing has happened.

dag65
11-11-2003, 05:54 PM
yes, they are accrylic laqers, but i have painted un-primered parts with laquer paint and nothing has happened.
You can shoot with no primer, but you may get mixed results depending on the particular plastic and the paint. Have you ever tried to trip one you didn't prime? Just curious, I did this on one and the paint etched into the plastic bad and now its green forever LOL

hirofkd
11-11-2003, 09:52 PM
I used Duplicolor's flat black on bare plastic, and nothing happened. Later, I used gloss black on bare plastic, and it crazed the plastic so badly, and I was puzzled.
It might be a brand specific or even color specific problem.
There might be some products like Tamiya synthetic lacquer, which doesn't damage the plastic, but usually, primer is necessary for an automotive spray paint.

POPSICLE_PETE
11-11-2003, 10:26 PM
thanks for the help!

Ya, I tought that it might depend on the color too. Sometimes I use tamiya paint as a primer, but that is expensive. But I also use "non-metal surface primer" but it doesnt seem to go o smooth, and canadaian tire only seems to stock it in clear.

z_dutchie
11-12-2003, 10:09 AM
I use duplicolour chrome spray and it's perfect!!

and i don't use primer for that
I also use motip

Rotaryman
11-13-2003, 12:28 AM
I get the cheap cans of testor's primer from the hobby shop and it goes on smooth as glass. It's only like $2 I believe.

Add your comment to this topic!