Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stalling problems 2.0 TD

Zuko
11-11-2003, 04:22 PM
I have a '97 GX TD. When I start the car it will idle normally for a while, then as the engine warms up it starts to run erratically and then stalls. Even when the engine is warm and I have driven for a few miles the engine will cut out when idling. After a good bit of driving the engine will idle normally, but this usually takes a long time. What could be causing this? I have changed the air and fuel filters and it recently had a new battery. I was told that it could be the glow plugs but this doesn't seem right as it still cuts out even after the temp gauge shows hot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edd_o_brain
01-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Air mass meter?

We have had a spate of problems with ours and it is now thought that is needs an upgrade to the diesel pump.

Our car is a 97 SLX 2.0 TD. Ours fails to start or smokes mainly when warm, but sometimes when you start it from cold, there is a certain point on the temp guage when if you let it idle it sometimes cuts out.

marky04
12-11-2004, 09:42 AM
It's a replacement pump that's required - not an upgrade.

Mine was doing exactly the same thing and I'm waiting for a remanufactured pump from Feather's in Halifax to be fitted.

More specifically, its the governor that has failed, causing the difficult starting as well as RPM surges which could end up killing the engine if not checked.

Add your comment to this topic!