Water sound under dash when accelerating

Rick Hinojosa
11-11-2003, 04:41 PM
On my 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71, a gurgling water sound is present everytime I accelerate. Are there any other Chevy owners that have had this same problem? If so, how was it resolved?

jeverett
11-11-2003, 06:05 PM
I have the same truck, and mine only did it when the coolant level was getting low. I couldnt find out where the coolant was going, but I soon found out that the head gaskets were blown. All I can suggest is to check the coolant level and if it is low, make sure its not going into the oil.

gunzur
11-16-2003, 11:23 PM
On my 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71, a gurgling water sound is present everytime I accelerate. Are there any other Chevy owners that have had this same problem? If so, how was it resolved?

I have the same sound, a gurgling water sound during light acceleration with a 2000 Silverado. I also have a knocking sound in the engine when driving over 20 mph, especially when re-applying throttle after a short period of idle throttle.

Both sounds are obvious and annoying. I don't know what the bubbling sound is. The coolant level is constant, there are no side effects that I've noticed. I don't yet have a solution to the bubbling sound, but I'm working on the knocking sound.

David Anderson
11-17-2003, 05:07 PM
I have a 99 Z71 and have the same bubbling water sound under the dash. Coolant leval is fine.

texasblueline
11-18-2003, 07:29 AM
My '02 Z71 also has the 'water' sound (kind of like the sound of a soda fountain dispenser when you're refilling your Coke) under the dash when accelerating. Bubbling, gurgling, or rushing all kind of describes it, but it's definitely noticeable. Coolant level is fine. If anyone knows what's causing this, and how to fix it, please enlighten us.

LethalGT
11-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Same problem here, but mines an '89 Silverado. Very annoying, sounds like water could come rushing out from under the dash. I dunno if it could affect cooling in any way, but mine continues to run hot. I just changed the thermostat for the second time and it still gets about 220-225 before it opens up. once it opens up it will cool down to 190-195 then slowly rise to 200-210. i know this cant be normal, but I have checked the coolant level and the water pump is circulating and the fan is working fine. Any ideas?

Kingclever
11-21-2003, 02:02 AM
I have the same sound in my 1999 5.3 x-cab silverado. coolant level is fine, but gurgles every now and then.

smcelhe
11-21-2003, 11:15 AM
I had the same problem with my 1999 Silverado.....There is a rubber washer in the heater hose where the hose connects to the heater core at the firewall. Over time the washer gets soft and starts to flap back and forth making the noise.

The dealer removed mine.....no more noise.

skebo60
11-23-2003, 10:02 PM
I had the same problem with my 1999 Silverado.....There is a rubber washer in the heater hose where the hose connects to the heater core at the firewall. Over time the washer gets soft and starts to flap back and forth making the noise.

The dealer removed mine.....no more noise.
Where is the washer?
There is not a washer in the hose...the hose connects to an adapter in the firewall is this what you are talking about?

tpi_boy
11-24-2003, 12:16 AM
smcelhe is right, on the hose closest to the engine you need to pull back the hose and make a hook out of a cotter pin or something and reach into the white connector on the firewall about an inch and hook the rubber washer and pull it out. it will fix the condition. It's hard to get out so keep working at it.

Bicbiz
11-26-2003, 01:18 PM
I have a 90 that does the exact same thing...I just replaced the heater core over the weekend, and wish I had read this post before I did it.

JanBotes
11-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Thank you smcelhe and tpi boy! I was going insane. Mine was making a "whining noise" (suppose it could sound like a soda fountain dispensing as texasblueline discribed it.) The dealer said the heater core needs to be replaced and wanted $900+. Anyway, pulled out the darn washer and no more frustrations. Do I put in a new washer or just take it out and leave it without one?

raveon
01-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Hello,
I'm researching this problem for my dad and his truck. Same thing, same sound and I assume the same solution.

Could someone please confirm if this washer needs to be replaced or could it stay out?

Thank you very much

smcelhe
01-19-2004, 07:45 AM
The dealer left mine out.....The washer looks like the washer in a garden hose nosle. It reduces the amount of water going into the heater core by a little bit.

yumi
01-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Lll

Jimmiz71
03-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Heres the post guys....
-Jimmy

red00lght
03-31-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks Jimmy--you da man!!
:smokin:

Drew7321
05-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Well, I'm new to this site, but I'll avoid the formal introductions. I know that a solution has been provided by the users on this forum. I'm still curious if there are any negative implications of leaving the gasket out.

My 91 Mustang has never made this "gurgling water under the dash" sound before, but today on my way to work I heard the very same sound. I checked under the car to see if anything was leaking, but found nothing. After work, I drove someone home and then came back to the parking lot to talk to a friend who was waiting there. I decided to check under my car again. This time, I found a definite spot under the car that appeared to be coolant, yet the level appears fine.

I believe that part of this problem may be a result of something that happened over the weekend. On a rainy night, my car hydroplaned on the highway, causing me to go off the road and back onto it. When I did, apparently the underside of the car scraped the ground. That happened on Saturday night, but I didn't notice this sound until today (Tuesday).

Any suggestions as to what I should look at? I can't help feeling that this is somehow attributed to the incident over the weekend, but could it be a problem that just popped up? Any suggestions are appreciated.

smcelhe
05-19-2004, 08:41 AM
The dealer took the rubber washer out of my coolant system over a year ago and I have not noticed any difference. The rubber washer reduces the water flow thru the heater core by a little bit. Over time the washer gets weak and starts to flap back and forth....that's what makes the noise.

I really can't see how the water sound is related to you skidding off the road.

5.3VTChevyrado
05-21-2004, 05:21 PM
So what about the knocking sound, I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 and I have a light rapid knocking sound at about 65-70 MPH, I didn't notice it before, it just started, I had the oil changed cause I paniced a bit, but the noise is still there, I'm not worried about it as much but it is quite annoying.

tbenedict
04-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Should this apply to a 1998 k1500 as well? Mine has hose clamps instead of the quick disconnects.

I planned on just using vise grips pinch the hoses so I don't have to drain the cooloant. Anyone had problems doing this? Obviously I don't want to cut the hose.

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!